Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Youth Upland Season/MO Forecast

I made the voyage up to furthest NW part of MO in my quest to bag a rooster from my home state, but goal not avhieved. We hunted about 4 hours yesterday in 30 degree, windy weather and didnt see any pheasant. Hunted for a couple of hours today at a different spot. This is with two guys and one dog (springer). Im going to have to go back to the drawing board on where to get in the right types of cover to find them. We did bust three very large coveys though...I just need to be quicker on the draw.

I took my 2 cousins out for the first time ever (both bagged birds) and had a great hunt. We came home with 10 birds (3 pheasant & 7 quail) in 2 golden hour hunts and one morning hunt. They are from IL and were pretty happy with what Missouri's public lands have to offer!
    IMG_0807_zpsnx2zb5ar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chriswhite22 View Post
    I took my 2 cousins out for the first time ever (both bagged birds) and had a great hunt. We came home with 10 birds (3 pheasant & 7 quail) in 2 golden hour hunts and one morning hunt. They are from IL and were pretty happy with what Missouri's public lands have to offer!
    IMG_0807_zpsnx2zb5ar.jpg
    Nice! Were you in NW region or North Central?

When looking for pheasant my general rule is north of 36 and west of 63. Although, I think that's even what MDC says too. I've found them other places, but few and far between. Quail can be found about anywhere. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by chriswhite22 View Post
    When looking for pheasant my general rule is north of 36 and west of 63. Although, I think that's even what MDC says too. I've found them other places, but few and far between. Quail can be found about anywhere. Good luck!
    Yeah, I guess Im just going to have to try my luck again. How many dogs did you have on the ground?
    We were in the furthest NW and flushed a lot of quail but didnt see ant pheasies.

Quote Originally Posted by bpope View Post
    Yeah, I guess Im just going to have to try my luck again. How many dogs did you have on the ground?
    We were in the furthest NW and flushed a lot of quail but didnt see ant pheasies.
    Just the dumb mut pictured. He's a good dog. Works a field well and finds us some birds. I hunt a lot by myself and focus on edges of corn fields and draws. When I want to punish myself head to the cattails. The hunt mentioned above was 3 people and that dog. We shot very well only had one bad miss on a pheasant. Love those Missouri pheasant!
    Last edited by chriswhite22; 11-14-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo