Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Season

Maybe you guys should start breeding Vizslas ! lol. I went out today also and did well, there are still a good number of birds out there. I'm going to have to figure a way of posting pictures since Photo Bucket screwed us.

Flickr has worked well for me.

All three dogs were going crazy and I just had to to take them out. It didn't take long for Blitz and Champ to point the first bird and I took a nice rooster. After that I decided I would not shoot a bird unless all three dogs did a good job. Champ and Blitz had more points than I can count and Scout had one on the edge of the woods that didn't present a good shot. Eventually all three did their job and I took a picture before I shot the flushing rooster. After that I started to walk out of the fields but I couldn't find Blitz or Champ. I looked for twenty minutes before I found Champ on point and went in to flush the bird. Blitz was still missing and after a few more minutes I saw a bird flying in the distance. Then I see Blitz running towards me. He was on a bird the entire time.

Untitled by Brian Bauerline, on Flickr

It has been a good week of hunting and Scout is doing very well. It is just about time to step up his training a little bit.

Merry Christmas!

Nice job guys Drake had a fun birthday hunt today with 23 flushes..

drakebirthday.jpg

Went out this morning with all three dogs since I was away for a while. Champ locked up quickly but young Scout hasnít been taught to honor yet and he busted two roosters. I hunted for about 45 minutes and we flushed one more rooster with no shot taken. I also saw one rooster run off through the woods. I saw a flock of turkeys before I took Scout home and went back out with Champ and Blitz. The dogs had several more points but some roosters were in safety zones or they didnít offer a safe shot. Even though it was 12 degrees it was still nice to be out.

Agree about the cold..whats a little cold! lol

Just got back from a hunt with my neighbor. His dogs canít hunt now so I asked him to join me. Blitz and Champ were great and we put up 2 hens and 3 roosters. We were able to take 2 of the roosters home. At one point we had to backtrack to find the dogs since they were locked up in some thick switchgrass. It was a nice time hunting in some snow. Sorry about the lack of pictures.

Went out in the cold saturday, took our time and would do a series of short hunts then back to the truck for the pup to warm up... hunted from 7-3 with 2 flushes, cold day but it was fun!

Low numbers and wise birds make for a tough late-season hunt. I was out on Sunday to run the dogs and was able to put up a few birds but they do not stick around long for a point. Good job getting out there.

Quote Originally Posted by teej89 View Post
    Went out in the cold saturday, took our time and would do a series of short hunts then back to the truck for the pup to warm up... hunted from 7-3 with 2 flushes, cold day but it was fun!
    That's a good long hunt in these conditions! We're still going out and finding birds but the weather has been brutal, but like you said it's still fun!