Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just getting into upland hunting

Quote Originally Posted by enzinn View Post
    I have hit my familiar grounds at Salt Slough WA and San Luis NWR since opening day. I have to give the dog a rest today through Tuesday because her nose and eyes are pretty torn up after hunting four of seven days.

The cover and feed are about as good as I have seen at both Salt Slough and San Luis. I think there might be more birds around than the last couple of drought years, but it hasn't resulted in more flushes, at least not yet. Even after the rain last Thursday, the ground and cover are so dusty that my dog goes into a sneezing fit when she picks up a hot trail and follows it. Every time we get into the heavy bull rush or cover, the dog goes completely ape running around and around, snuffling and sneezing and going full tilt. I suspect that we are passing by scent trails that are not discernible in the heat and dust, so hopefully we will get a little more rain before the season ends to improve scenting conditions.

I haven't gone up north yet, but will give it whack in the weeks to come since my rice blind ponds are finally flooded and the trailer is set up in Colusa. I'll hit up the Northern Sacramento Valley refuges (I had better luck up there last year, at least compared to hunting in the San Joaquin Valley) and do at least one trip to LK before the season ends.

I do admit that I might be dead wrong on there actually being more birds this year in the Grasslands refuges. I don't have direct proof of it yet. I suppose I might be overly optimistic, hoping for a repeat of my 1998-1999 hunting season that came on the heels of the rainfall we had in the prior winter (a near record El Nino winter). My opening weekend this past weekend certainly was less productive than the 1998 season opener.
    Did you hunt the openers on grasslands or just after the openers?

I did both!

Do you have a dog? Without one you are missing 3/4 of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
    Do you have a dog? Without one you are missing 3/4 of the fun.
    Tony,

Not sure who are addressing the question to but we both have dogs. I only went once this season, got injured and I don't want to do a lot of walking. The opener was really bad anyway and it doesn't sound like from what I've heard that this season has measured up to the preseason hype around my neck of the woods