Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can pheasants see blaze orange?

Default Can pheasants see blaze orange?

So late in the pheasant hunting season last year, I was in Kooch's shop in Winner talking about how we were having a tough time ambushing the wise old late season birds, when another guy in the shop heard us talking and told us the problem was our blaze orange hats. The guy seemed pretty serious about it, and Kooch agreed with him.

Any one else here the same thing? I've been hunting with the same guys for a long time, and I'm not worried about them shooting me. Since it sounds like we will be hunting mainly wise old birds this year, I figured I'd give it a try and get rid of the blaze orange. I'll have to double check, but I don't think any blaze orange is required in SD.
    Last edited by BKelly; 10-19-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Here is a real life experience , my dad , cousin where hunting a small creek with shrubs and grass that ran through a crop field . My dad and cousin glowed in orange . I had a tan color bird vest and whatever ball cap I normally wore . I was getting all the shooting and had to ask them to toss me shells over cause I had ran out . This was a Kansas combo hunt quail ans pheasant . I remember shooting 5 or 6 quail and 2 roosters in that walk .
    Last edited by KSBrittman; 10-17-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Try posting with orange showing and you will get very few shots.

Absolutely Phez can see blaze orange, all birds can especially bright colors.

I've been wearing a blaze orange hat and a vest with blaze orange on it for the last 23 years. I've also been hunting South Dakota for the last 23 years, and up until the last few years, there has been so many damn pheasants it hasn't mattered.

I know the place we hunt will be loaded with pheasants again this year, but I think most of them will be wise old pheasants. At the same place last year we tried several unsuccessful ambush attacks on a few small draws. Before we could even get within 10 yards of the draws, the birds were already busting out of the far back corner and I know they didn't hear us. All the draws are lower and I'm sure they see us as soon as we start walking down into the draws.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a camo vest. Most of the camo vests are for dove hunting and are extremely light weight.

I would have to say YES with my extensive experience in Kansas. I normally wear a blaze orange hat and shell vest. There are a couple corners I hit every year and the same thing happens EVERY time. Just as I take the very first step into the CRP the birds take off out of the other end. Not a single bird stays in the CRP. So, I tried coming in from one of the other corners and they bale out a different end into the adjacent corn. I can predict what is going to happen with 100% accuracy. Maybe I will try these three or four spots without the blaze hat.
    Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 10-18-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo - I knew something was up last year because the wind was blowing right in our face at 50 MPH, and there is no way they could have heard us coming as quickly as they bailed. Do you hunt a lot in CO? I live in Golden and have lived in CO for 12 years. I haven't hunted much out here, but I've heard good things.

This isn't good. I usually wear a long sleeve day glow orange shirt and an orange hat. I plaster the orange on my son. My dog sometimes even wears orange.

Quote Originally Posted by BKelly View Post
    I've been wearing a blaze orange hat and a vest with blaze orange on it for the last 23 years. I've also been hunting South Dakota for the last 23 years, and up until the last few years, there has been so many damn pheasants it hasn't mattered.

I know the place we hunt will be loaded with pheasants again this year, but I think most of them will be wise old pheasants. At the same place last year we tried several unsuccessful ambush attacks on a few small draws. Before we could even get within 10 yards of the draws, the birds were already busting out of the far back corner and I know they didn't hear us. All the draws are lower and I'm sure they see us as soon as we start walking down into the draws.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a camo vest. Most of the camo vests are for dove hunting and are extremely light weight.
    Can somebody define or help me picture the term "draw". Ive heard it used multiple times on this site and through years of pheasant hunting but I guess I never really asked what that is, until now where guys are using the term and I'm having a hard time picturing what that means in pheasant/landscape language. Not trying to steer away from the original topic of this thread, a short answer works. Help me out.
    Last edited by TBIRD19; 10-18-2017 at 03:10 PM.

I hear ya, everyone who I hunt with wears a blaze orange hat/vest, at a minimum. I need to check the blaze orange requirements in SD.