Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodcock opener?

Quote Originally Posted by bpope View Post
    I went out today for about three hours. Awesome cold weather, but did not move any birds. I know my legs are nice and scratched up and my dogs has some battle scars...so at least we tried! I did see one spot of splash...but I am guessing still too early for them here in SW MO?
    Its just getting cold up north, so expect flight birds to arrive soon. It may take a couple weeks. Sometimes they come in dribs and drabs and other times a whole bunch will drop in. Depends a lot on the prevailing winds, in my experience.

So they fly at night an feed during the day around wet areas?

Yes--they do. They eat mostly worms. Their long beaks can sense them (some say vibrations). This requires soft fertile soils.
    My understanding is that they tend to follow along drainage (rivers, streams and brooks) as they work their way south.
    I've found then in low wet areas consistently and in uplands adjacent to the same, but always close to waterways.

There are lots of great books on the subject. Wet and fertile belts of land are the key. During dry years, look for low areas with ferns and such.