Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Hunting Reports

Default 2017 Hunting Reports

I am a little bit OCD so I would rather come here for reports....

Thanks for as much info as you choose to share!

Myself, and 2 others got out in Pope County (public land) and flushed 8 birds, shot 1 rooster. Lots of corn, lots of hunters..... nice cover but wet if you get too close to the lowbottoms

Talked to a group that pulled up in 3 trucks, had to have been 10 guys and they were hunting private land - said they were disapointed in the amount of birds they were seeing.

Good Luck!

Hunted in Waseca and Steele County Saturday. There were some beans out but I would say at least 80% of the crops were still in the field. Hunted with one dog and one other guy. Mix of private and public land. We saw 4 roosters, 6 hens. Bagged one rooster. Should have had another but the guy I was with shot 3 times and no bird. With the amount of crops still to be harvested I was pretty pleased. This area usually isn't known for great pheasant hunting. It got pretty wet in the afternoon and I bailed before the golden hour as I was soaked. I think the numbers will show better once the crops are out. I am optimistic that it will be at least as good as last year if not better. Time will tell.

Thanks for getting the thread goin flushedup. I'll stick to this for reports throughout 2017. Not much to report on my end, however expectations were pretty tame, more of a rehearsal run for dog an I. opted out of heading SW this year as I had a remodel being finished on my home and have experienced the challenges of an opener previous years, along with this years expected rain, I figured id save the trip for a better weekend. Anyway, I did head out to a WMA close to home for a couple hours where I usually run the dog and have had luck jumping birds from time to time. 2 hens is all we flushed. I got there at 7:30am and waited, as I know others are aware of this place with it being so close to the metro, and I wanted to be first to take a crack at it. Sure enough a truck with 2 guys pulls up at 8:50, and another truck with 2 guys at 8:55. Now I'm aware I dont own the place and they have just as much right to be on it as anyone else however I just dont understand (and never will) the appeal of being stacked on top of other hunters in a field that is probably only big enough for a party of one or two guys, and most important its just not safe. Had i been in there shoes and pulled in seeing somebody already sitting at a spot, I would be moving on, I have no desire to hunt on top of anyone or smother anyone elses hunt for that matter. It's also the fact that I was sitting there for 1 1/2 hours before they pull up 5 minutes before and act as if im not even there and continue on with their business. No nod, no howdy, no "hey can we find a way to make this work", just a few stares and carry on. I'm sorry but thats just selfish, non-courteous, poor etiquette. It's really not worth it guys. Maybe wake up earlier next time, and if you dont, be prepared to keep driving on when you show up at 8:55 and someone is already there, unless its a big parcel that can handle multiple parties, thats different. Alright thats my one rant for the year, back to hunting...

I'll be looking forward to getting further into the season and action increasing, hopefully! Also will be excited to see reports from others! Happy Hunting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flushedup View Post
    I am a little bit OCD so I would rather come here for reports....

Thanks for as much info as you choose to share!
    You have me wondering...OCD?? Can you define this for those of us" not in the know"?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    You have me wondering...OCD?? Can you define this for those of us" not in the know"?

Thanks
    Jonny, I think he means he wanted to start a thread specifically for 2017 reports and such, rather than users posting into various other threads that we probably wouldnt think to read to find guys reports. Being "OCD" he wants to know there is one specific thread set that he can go to for this topic.

Tbird, i dont get that either, most hunters would have the respect to hash out details where to go and give each other the courtesy and space. You out hunting any of those wma's in the hugo area? I grew up in centerville, and although my experience pheasant hunting around there have only really been on private land back when I was younger.

I hunted near Clinton with just me and my dog, plenty of crops up although i would have guessed 50% of the beans were out and more counting before the rain. never flushed anything up until after lunch, dog never got birdy on the first wpa's i tried; found a third wpa next to some harvested beans and flushed about 10 birds; missed my first perfect flush, but I made up for it for the other flush. Then after that walk, I drove further east and waited for the roost hunt and topped off the night with getting my 2nd rooty at sunset, hunting crp next to standing corn, after flushing 4 other birds prior

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jmnhunter View Post
    Tbird, i dont get that either, most hunters would have the respect to hash out details where to go and give each other the courtesy and space. You out hunting any of those wma's in the hugo area? I grew up in centerville, and although my experience pheasant hunting around there have only really been on private land back when I was younger.

I hunted near Clinton with just me and my dog, plenty of crops up although i would have guessed 50% of the beans were out and more counting before the rain. never flushed anything up until after lunch, dog never got birdy on the first wpa's i tried; found a third wpa next to some harvested beans and flushed about 10 birds; missed my first perfect flush, but I made up for it for the other flush. Then after that walk, I drove further east and waited for the roost hunt and topped off the night with getting my 2nd rooty at sunset, hunting crp next to standing corn, after flushing 4 other birds prior
    jmnhunter, yes thats where I was , 10 minutes from home in Centerville. Awesome thats where you are from originally. Youre probably familiar with those WMAs growing up so close. I really enjoy them being there for the sake of running the dog, hunting not so much, but you can get lucky. Have lived there for about 3 years now and we like it, Kellys Korner can be a good stop in for a beer or two

Good job on the birds, way to keep at it throughout the day after a slow start! Glad you were able to bag a couple!

TBIRD: Would expect no less in MINNESOTA.

Quote Originally Posted by TBIRD19 View Post
    jmnhunter, yes thats where I was , 10 minutes from home in Centerville. Awesome thats where you are from originally. Youre probably familiar with those WMAs growing up so close. I really enjoy them being there for the sake of running the dog, hunting not so much, but you can get lucky. Have lived there for about 3 years now and we like it, Kellys Korner can be a good stop in for a beer or two

Good job on the birds, way to keep at it throughout the day after a slow start! Glad you were able to bag a couple!
    yeah there are a few pockets of birds here and there, and gaining private access was relatively easy, granted that was when we were younger, so maybe they threw us a bone

I havent been into kellys in awhile, but their beers are cold