Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Less than a month

Rawlings Co. I’m giddy.

Good to hear there is some excitement- I was getting worried I hope it cools down some as I would like to deal with roosters and not rattlers!

Quote Originally Posted by JSMITH View Post
    Good to hear there is some excitement- I was getting worried I hope it cools down some as I would like to deal with roosters and not rattlers!
    It has been cooler than normal in October so far! In the 30's again this morning. Had to scrape frost off the windshield last week.

My setters and I are headed your way to hunt Texas quail with you....lol.
    Sounds like a great lease and glad birds have rebounded in TX! However I read that the numbers this fall are down a bit from last year?
    I wonder if the amount of good cover/ habitat concealed birds during the annual road side surveys?

Quote Originally Posted by 20bore View Post
    My setters and I are headed your way to hunt Texas quail with you....lol.
    Sounds like a great lease and glad birds have rebounded in TX! However I read that the numbers this fall are down a bit from last year?
    I wonder if the amount of good cover/ habitat concealed birds during the annual road side surveys?
    "Down from last year" is the general consensus, however, last year bird numbers were almost at an all time high. There was an expected drop off. I think this season will still be above average for Texas.

Absolutely excited. Plans are still pretty flexible for the opener. Alot depends on the weather. If it is mild then me and my son will take the tent and camp out somewhere.
    I'm kind of a nomad as all we hunt is public and I live in sek. Many times I just head the truck west and make up my mind where to go on the way. Outside of opening week it's not typically hard to find a motel on short notice where ever I end up.

Taking my son for youth season this coming weekend. I hope to get him his second pheasant. Last year he got his first during youth season.