Thread: Last Blue of the Season

Default Last Blue of the Season

Hit one of my close to home spots on Saturday. Put some miles in before flushing a single male in the oak scrub. He thundered off the ground and began weaving hard through the scrub when the shotgun boomed and he crashed to the ground. My Springer made a great retrieve in the dense scrub. Walked a few more miles but didn't see anymore birds.
    This was my last trip of the season for Blues. Elk season rolls up next week and after that I'll be back on the wide open prairie looking for chickens until pheasant opens...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Uplandhunter67; 10-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    "When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. Hunting is on my mind because it is in my blood."
    -- Jim Shockey

Nice, I shot my first Blue Saturday morning after putting in A LOT of miles.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMc View Post
    Nice, I shot my first Blue Saturday morning after putting in A LOT of miles.
    Congrats! Rewarding when you spend the time and commit to the miles!

How'd the new pup do?
    "When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. Hunting is on my mind because it is in my blood."
    -- Jim Shockey

He is doing better than I ever expected. I dove hunted a few weekends and he retrieved every bird that my son and i shot. Every evening when I get off of work I take both dogs out and walk the fields looking for Grouse. At first my young pup just followed the older dog everywhere but after the first 5 or 6 times he started working and searching on his own. My next step is to go out to a game farm and let him see live pheasants before the opener in November. Getting antsy for the season to start.

Glad to hear he is doing well on his road to being a class A bird dog. A good preseason pet & shoot trip is a good idea. Gets that desire into them to find birds which this year I think will be a good year for it.
    -- Jim Shockey

Sounds like a great hunt. One day I need to chase Blues with Echo. Good luck with the elk.