Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Decimated

Everyone has different expectations, based on their life experiences. I have close friends with irrigated ground on Rock creek, just north of the Milk, all private, I take my pups there to work them a bit, there is a few birds, not a lot by my expectations. Bright side, I have a friend near central Montana, he has planted 32 miles of hedge rows on one piece of ground he has, invited me up to bring dogs, says it is loaded with huns and sharptails, so all it not loss. Thanksgiving weekend was also very good, filled my gen. elk tag with a spike, and took 2 does along with it, so pretty productive weekend.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinwalker View Post
    Thanks for confirming my decision. I have done a lot of scouting, but it is in SD. I will happy to let anyone know what area I hunted in. It was around Pierre. Great state parks set up for visitors, outstanding public hunting areas, and no double secrete BS about hunting birds. I have fished the Bighorn for 30 years and I always wondered why the locals only hunted in SD. There are pheasant in Montana but mostly on private land. The locals on the Bighorn did not even think it was worth the trouble to try locally. This forum is for sharing information among bird hunters not whipping it out to show how cool you are.
    here is my opinion on the big horn River.There are birds on those ranches, but not lots.Some have good numbers, but impossible to get on.Wealthy, out of state idiots own those ranches.

Came back home Monday from hosting service member cow elk hunt, drove from Big Timber to just west of Glasgow, saw a couple birds in Lewistown area along road, saw 7 roosters all together along highway 2 , most roosters I have seen together all fall......sad. More optimistic note, we were able to fill all 6 cow tags we had. Plus 3 of the guys decided to take a turkey, great few days hunting with them, very sincere and grateful gentleman, but the honor was all ours to host them.

Thx. for taking them on a good hunt!!

Congrats to those guys.The high line is spotty.Scouting is important, and having a few free , private farms helps.

I went to Montana for the first time this year. And my personal opinion is that it is a magical place with all kinds of game on it. We were there early so I actually had 2 full days to scout and bs with people. We hunted private land 70% of the time. Pheasants were good on the private land but the public land held more of a mixed bag so the last day I hunted almost all public. I would say the key to my success was the over-scouting. I would never drive around and scout for 2 days and waste an extra 75 bucks in gas, but what else was I gonna do...The places that the other guys have been before and had success on, were not so successful. So we would go to a patch where we saw some birds the day before driving and looking at cover. And we stayed in birds most of the day after that. When we found em, we found em. If I had gone without scouting and just hunted where the rancher said he saw the most, or where the guys that had been there before said they saw the most, or the locals told us to go, we would not have had near as much success. I've hunted in a few different states, and the one piece of advice I can give is, just because birds have been there in the past don't mean they are there now, but they are probably still close by in suitable cover for the current conditions. Gotta change up ur offense sometimes as a bird hunter.
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!

buff 1.jpeg

How is this for changing up offense?
    Last edited by Montana Husker; 01-15-2018 at 06:52 PM.

More offensive changes.....

mwotw cow hunt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Husker View Post
    buff 1.jpeg

How is this for changing up offense?
    thumbs down

LOL, I care more about what my pups leave behind in the kennel , then anything you put on here....