Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opener.

Greg--thought about getting in touch to shake your hand and ogle over a few of your guns! didn't work out...my new (to me) AYA #2 20 gauge was sure fun! love the 29" pipes...and open chokes...made 3 really long shots on grouse...pure luck....

Quote Originally Posted by Altillathedak View Post
    SW part of the state. Prime private land.
    I am going there as well next week. I am hoping not to get shut out for 4-5 days in a row! Hunting prime private pheasant managed land. Did you find any water? How is the crop harvest progressing?

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    Greg--thought about getting in touch to shake your hand and ogle over a few of your guns! didn't work out...my new (to me) AYA #2 20 gauge was sure fun! love the 29" pipes...and open chokes...made 3 really long shots on grouse...pure luck....
    Not sure I follow the report: did you use #2 shot and open chokes?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    Not sure I follow the report: did you use #2 shot and open chokes?

Thanks!
    SORRY!!! GJW and I spoke a few weeks ago...I asked him to check out a gun for me online...an AYA #2 side by side 20 gauge...no, for the pheasants I used a 16 gauge O/U with #6 Hevi-Shot...I was on a WPA...lethal stuff!!!! open chokes in all my guns...most are SK1/SK2

I hunted from Saturday from 8-11am. I hunted in central part of the state south of 94.

First off it was difficult hunting all the corn was up, most flowers were still up. soybeans were being harvested. so compared to last year the only thing up last year opening weekend was corn. This area has had a bunch of rain in the last 6 weeks. the crops looked bad. but the grass around them was lush. I have never seen this before in ND. and there was standing water in places that usually doesn't hold water. Also the corn was as green as I ever have seen it (this late). I think the corn is looking like harvesting around nov 7th maybe as late as 15th.

We saw a decent amount, we saw 4 hens and 4 roosters. but all were this year birds except one. so I didn't hunt much and for sure didn't hunt hard. We had older dogs and there was some cover they couldn't go into. So I am optimistic. heading out this Friday-Monday, and will hunt hard all three days, will give update then.

we hunted private land. as out state can't hunt plots.

Jim

SORRY!!! GJW and I spoke a few weeks ago...I asked him to check out a gun for me online...an AYA #2 side by side 20 gauge...no, for the pheasants I used a 16 gauge O/U with #6 Hevi-Shot...I was on a WPA...lethal stuff!!!! open chokes in all my guns...most are SK1/SK2
    Wondered about using #2...thanks for clarifying. I use Improved Cyl for pheasants, have not considered skeet. I tried the skeet chokes for sporting clays and skeet. Didn't notice much difference with my 20 ga..

Have a great season - sounds like you are off to a good start!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    wondered about using #2...thanks for clarifying. I use improved cyl for pheasants, have not considered skeet. I tried the skeet chokes for sporting clays and skeet. Didn't notice much difference with my 20 ga..

Have a great season - sounds like you are off to a good start!
    thanks! You too!!!!

SE corner checking in. Bad bad bad. Two days, 10 hours, 3 birds total. Private land that has always given up limits on opener.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I am going there as well next week. I am hoping not to get shut out for 4-5 days in a row! Hunting prime private pheasant managed land. Did you find any water? How is the crop harvest progressing?
    There is water. Decent amt of rain in September.

Hey B-B, too bad, would have been fun! maybe next time. Anyway, glad your AyA is working out so well. Hope you have many long and healthy years shooting her.

Stay Well!

Greg
    Gregory J. Westberg
    MSG, USA
    Ret