Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opener.

Default Opener.

Wow. Slowest pheasant opener I have experienced since the 70s. I believe the North Dakota Game and Fish was optimistic with their prediction of a 60% decline in the pheasant population. 70% or better here. Hunted nothing but absolute prime pheasant habitat. Saw few birds. Zero young birds. Four hens. After 13 miles of prairie exploration I was eating fresh pheasant pate and drinking Old Pulteney scotch though.

Dang, that's a bummer to hear. What part of the state were you in. I'm trying to make my first trip out this November around Hettinger, but all these poor reports have me second guessing myself.

Bummer, can't say I'm supprised though.

Saw the same, hunted around Mott on private sections, low numbers and i'd agree with worse than 60% down...i'd say 75-80%. Been all over the SW bowhunting/scouting and sharptails and huns seem to be the way to keep any action going. Corn held some birds and same with oats, but harvest of crops is maybe 25% completed from what i've seen in activity. Group of 5 of us with three dogs only took 3 on opener, probably should've been 6...but didn't see many more roosters than the 6 on 600 acres.

Did you find more birds if you were closer to water? How about the crop situation? Did that effect the number of sightings? Was the weather hot?

hunted saturday only. our group of 4 killed limits in about 2 hours...got mine in about 90 minutes. about 10 of our 12 birds were young birds. Can't say where we were, but it seems OK...never hunted there before, nothing to compare to...but I assume birds are down quite a bit. I hunted a small WPA that was adjacent to where I was hunting sharp tails the day before and saw the pheasants using this area. much fun. killed my limit of sharps by ten.

Benelli banger you were in North dakota correct?

yes. never hunted in the area i was at, just heard from my buddies how things were different from past years...less cover for sure due to the drought....haying/grazing...cattails being cut and baled, etc...

Hey all, congrats B-B, looks like you did very well, good going. I did post about my opening day on another thread, but did go out yesterday. My son and I saw about 8 birds, and I was able to get one. But, my GSP Raina got a good gash on her leg, so that ended our hunt early. That really sucked!

Went out today solo and no dog, didn't see a thing!!! Terrible hunting, but a nice day for a walk!

Anyway, here's my bird from Sunday. I was using my 12b F.A. Anderson

Hope Raina heals fast!

Best, Greg
    Last edited by gjw; 10-09-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    Gregory J. Westberg
    MSG, USA
    Ret

SW part of the state. Prime private land.