Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two weeks until opener

Disco is dead... thankfully.

My phone app says that saturday evening has 30-40% chance, but Sunday only a high of 48!!!!!! Heck ya!

With how far behind the crops are this year it could be a tough opener for pinning down birds. I know our corn is at least two weeks behind last year. Beans are just starting to come out but it has been so wet this is going to be slow going. I will be getting the dog out to chase some birds. Just hoping to see some. I am hoping they aren't all in the crops still. Either way have fun and stay safe. I will agree things seem dead on this site lately for the season having started in some places and about to start in MN.

I visited with a farmer friend in the Canby area and he said most of the corn and beans are out around his place, but he has not seen one pheasant. Never saw a single young one all summer. While that area has gotten a lot of rain lately and later in the summer he said it was extremely dry during the hatch period. He thinks that if the chicks hatched they didn't survive. I know that area has really been down the past few years but it's really looking tough this year. I'm going to skip the "Resident Only Opener" in SD and run over and kick around in some of his CRP. At least the dog and I will get some exercise.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Most likely heading out this weekend as well. Typically jump around north of Belgrade and South of Sauk Centre, even if me and the almost 2 year old pup see nothing it beats sitting at home. I get a little frustrated competing for an open spot on public land so may just take Monday off and head out then as well. Good luck everyone!

Hello,

First time posting on the forum. Looking forward to this upcoming season as I have a year old GSP itching and burning to go. I was able to get him out and allow him to understand what the goal was at the end of the season last year. For being 5 months old at the time he really got me excited and ready go, pointed ~30 birds, and I didn't miss his first rooster (that was my biggest fear). What a great way to get a pup excited and discover his purpose. Unfortunately, this all took place on the last weekend of the season last year, and all i wanted to do was keep going! 10 months later and We are ready to get out there again.

So to get to the point of this thread, I have been out quite a few times with the dog for conditioning over the course of the summer. We have been to different corners of the state including SW mn and around my home in Wright county, and i have to say that I don't agree with the low numbers. The roadside survey is not an all inclusive survey of the population and should by no means be taken as fact. Everywhere i have walked i have found birds and in pretty good numbers. I am also still seeing, as long ago as yesterday, Birds that are still just very very small. So small that I have to believe they were just hatching during the time period the dnr was out doing the roadside surveys. I have a feeling that if your willing, its going to be a good season. One thing i am not aware of, not sure if the DNR shares this or not, is the routes of these surveys. If there is decreased habitat along these routes then duh, of course the counts will be down. I too have heard people say they cant believe there are no pheasants, then i walk and say, ha b.s.

As for getting out this weekend, I happened to plan my wedding for pheasant opener.....Great way continue the building itch right? Good luck to everyone out there this weekend! The best time of the year is here, get out and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    I visited with a farmer friend in the Canby area and he said most of the corn and beans are out around his place, but he has not seen one pheasant. Never saw a single young one all summer. While that area has gotten a lot of rain lately and later in the summer he said it was extremely dry during the hatch period. He thinks that if the chicks hatched they didn't survive. I know that area has really been down the past few years but it's really looking tough this year. I'm going to skip the "Resident Only Opener" in SD and run over and kick around in some of his CRP. At least the dog and I will get some exercise.
    a south dakotan coming to MN for pheasants?! thats got to be a first haha

well hopefully there are some hidden pockets he didnt see, and atleast most of the crops are down in that area

Quote Originally Posted by SDeVl63 View Post

So to get to the point of this thread, I have been out quite a few times with the dog for conditioning over the course of the summer. We have been to different corners of the state including SW mn and around my home in Wright county, and i have to say that I don't agree with the low numbers. The roadside survey is not an all inclusive survey of the population and should by no means be taken as fact. Everywhere i have walked i have found birds and in pretty good numbers. I am also still seeing, as long ago as yesterday, Birds that are still just very very small. So small that I have to believe they were just hatching during the time period the dnr was out doing the roadside surveys. I have a feeling that if your willing, its going to be a good season. One thing i am not aware of, not sure if the DNR shares this or not, is the routes of these surveys. If there is decreased habitat along these routes then duh, of course the counts will be down. I too have heard people say they cant believe there are no pheasants, then i walk and say, ha b.s.

As for getting out this weekend, I happened to plan my wedding for pheasant opener.....Great way continue the building itch right? Good luck to everyone out there this weekend! The best time of the year is here, get out and enjoy it!

thanks for the insight! it'll be interesting to see this weekend, i'm basically holding my breath for the morning and roost hunt.
    eee, wedding in the fall for a hunter can be tough, i had to skip a couple of weddings because of Openers and such, good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by jmnhunter View Post
    a south dakotan coming to MN for pheasants?! thats got to be a first haha

well hopefully there are some hidden pockets he didnt see, and atleast most of the crops are down in that area
    I know, sounds crazy, eh? Been doing it for years. It's less than an hour away and I have private land to hunt. There are no birds in the Watertown, SD area so it's closer than heading 70+ miles west of here and having to put up with other hunters. I grew up in the Canby area.
    7/6/2016

1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Heading out with good buddy my Shorthair and second season for his visla. Have grown to not expect great things on opener. Just good to knock the rust off, good luck to all.

Walked my friend's CRP for about 3 hours this morning and the dog found 3 hens. Contrary to what he told me, about all the corn is still in the field. Most of the beans are out.
    7/6/2016

1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016