Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your dogs in shape?

Default How do you get your dogs in shape?

I live in a city and don't have access to fields to road him or anything like that. I run with him when I can but I'm away at school and so I can only come back once or twice a week. How do you all get your dogs in shape for the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjhawk View Post
    I live in a city and don't have access to fields to road him or anything like that. I run with him when I can but I'm away at school and so I can only come back once or twice a week. How do you all get your dogs in shape for the season?
    I have labs--
    So--in addition to normal training--I'm a big believer in swimming them to get/keep them in shape--either by long-long retrieves or blinds--or hand thrown or machine throw bumpers--
    Up to several 3-4 hundred yard marks or blinds-or a hour or more of thrown bumpers as season gets closer--jmo

Treadmill and off season training. Join a group like NAVHDA and train for tests. It only makes a better hunting dog.
    VC Max vom Schutzenknapp, VJP 75, HZP 190, VGP 303 Prize I 4H Nose, HN, BTR, NA 112 Prize I, 204 Prize I, 2014 SMCNA Hall of Fame dog youngest inductee.

Baja vom Wamsbach, VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112 Prize I. A diamond in he rough!

Piles set at about 100 yards....after 20 or so she starts to get pretty tired. Also lucky launchers to spice things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjhawk View Post
    Not sure where in Kansas your from, but I live in the Kansas City area. I run my dogs on thousands of acres of public ground within an hours drive of where I live, some within 30 minutes. Think Wildlife Mgtmt areas, State Parks, Corp of Engineer lakes...check the off leash regs. Jonjhawk??? If you're in Lawrence you have a pretty good size corp lake in your backyard.

I believe its important to keep dogs wt optimal and never let them get profoundly out of shape during the off season. Wish I could regulate my intake as well as I do the dogs.

I try to get mine out on short runs late in the day, gradually building up the time they run. Mine are never really in shape when I take my yearly South Dakota hunt in early November. In the mid south where I live, it gets in the 90's through much of October. When we come home from South Dakota though, they are ready to roll .

I take my dog out to some deserted areas with little traffic and bring a bike. Park the car. I ride and he runs. Depending on how hot it is we might go 2 miles and we might go 6-7 miles.

Bike can be used anywhere and will give you the option of distance.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
    Bike can be used anywhere and will give you the option of distance.
    I did a lot with a bike this year and I agree. However, if you do not have a dog that heals well at a walk or run then don't do it. You could easily wreck. For me, I was able to put a lot of conditioning on my retriever and she ran strong upland hunting.
    Regards,

Jay Schwisow
    Photographer Afield
    http://www.jayschwisow.com

Buzz prefers the beer & pizza training regimen.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster