Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Iowa Roadside Survey

Quote Originally Posted by UGUIDE View Post
    That link no workie. Fyi.
    You seem resourceful. I bet you can find it.

It worked for me so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisHeaven? View Post
    You seem resourceful. I bet you can find it.

It worked for me so who knows.
    it did not work for me either, but i found the report.

Let me start by saying I am a huge supporter of the DNR, not a DNR basher at all.

If I recall correctly, last year the roadside counts were down +/- 14% yr over yr. The DNR put out a press release that barely mentioned the decline but instead postured their entire release on "the bird numbers are there, the hunters are not." If we just had more hunters we would be able to bag 300k+ birds.........

This year, the roadside counts are down +/- 30% yr. over yr. and the posture is "not enough dew" for an accurate count.

Three years ago, I believe the counts were up and the press release shouted to the world "the counts are up, the birds are back."

The correlation between the roadside counts and the bird numbers/birds harvested are remarkably tied together over the last 30 years or so; statistically significant and reliable. The DNR has many times stated the reliability of their counts in predicting bird/harvest numbers.

Yet, the last couple of years the "spin" has been put on this report so much so that if you dont read it twice and really dig into the detail, you may not get the full story.

All that said, I will be out hunting this fall regardless. I wont bag a lot of birds, regardless of the counts. But, I will enjoy my time out there, get a rush seeing them and my heart will race like a kid again with a cackle at my feet Looking forward to it.

I'm not trying to hammer the Iowa DNR but don't you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself is this the best methodology to predict pheasant population. If there is no better way to count? If not then should we use our time and budget in another way to help increase the population.

Based on the weather, the pheasant population should be going up. Over the last decade, the winters have been milder especially in January. The overall snow and ice depth\pack appears to be much less based on the warm January temps. The late March snowfalls we do get only last a day or so. The widespread Iowa floods have decreased in the last 9 years. True there has been localized flooding in parts of the state. I don't believe we have had widespread flooding since 2008. So why are the numbers decreasing? Increased predation, reduced habitate. Is there a smoking gun, so to speak.