Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Iowa Roadside Survey

Default 2017 Iowa Roadside Survey

Last edited by IsThisHeaven?; 09-01-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Pheasants seem to be in trouble! Nothing severe happened in Iowa to wreck the hatch that I know of. The count almost always sets the precedent for harvest trend. It's very frustrating somewhere we fell off a cliff, big time. If last year and year before are modern peaks in the Midwest, It sucks.

There is talk that drought conditions contributed to the significant declines/low counts but I am skeptical of that. I live in central Iowa. I have been out and about most Saturdays and Sundays early in the morning running the dog all spring and summer. I had heard talk of an increase in bird numbers over last year but that is not what I had seen anywhere in this area. My gut feeling was similar numbers to last year to a slight decrease but who knows anymore. Either way I will be out there hunting the birds that are there.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/DNR...repeat-of-2016

I obviously can't speak for all of NW Iowa but my local area is up over last year. I'll talk to the local guys but I think this area will be up.

I've seen a lot of habitat in Iowa the last few years without any appreciable numbers of birds. I expect birds to be down in KS as well, more empty habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    I obviously can't speak for all of NW Iowa but my local area is up over last year. I'll talk to the local guys but I think this area will be up.
    That's good news. Where are we meeting on the opener....��

It is good to hear there are pockets of good numbers somewhere in Iowa.

Lack of dew may have kept the birds off the road during the road count

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisHeaven? View Post
    file:///home/chronos/u-5941196902c4c18769cf8b7f7f502e805beff367/Downloads/aug_roadside_2017.pdf
    That link no workie. Fyi.

Here's why you got to know more than what the percent decline or increase is in a state survey

ROADSIDE SUMMARY
    Statewide, Iowa saw mostly a below average winter and a wetter than normal spring in 2017. Iowa’s
    weather model predicted numbers unchanged to slightly down, while this year’s roadside counts showed pheasant
    (-30%) and quail (-23%) were both down sharply from last year. This year’s roadside count is in stark contrast to
    field staff and landowner reports. In the quail range quail are being reported everywhere, while pheasant broods
    sightings are up statewide. Iowa suffered through a mid-summer drought that coincided with this year’s roadside
    counts. This created poor dew conditions during the survey and led to an “inaccurate” count this year.
    Both pheasant and quail numbers are expected to be similar to or better than 2016. This fall could be the
    best quail hunting Iowa hunters have seen in almost 30 years. Pheasant hunters reported very good success last
    year and with similar bird numbers hunters should enjoy good success this coming fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossing shot View Post
    Lack of dew may have kept the birds off the road during the road count
    This is a good possibility, I'll ask the local DNR guys.

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisHeaven? View Post
    That's good news. Where are we meeting on the opener....��

It is good to hear there are pockets of good numbers somewhere in Iowa.
    Here in the lakes area there is a butt ton of public. Crowding generally isn't a problem.

And, most of mine is in the IHAP program for at least one more year. But then it's out.