Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dog virus in midwest

Default dog virus in midwest

I have friends who have heard about a new virus(?) that is killing dogs in the midwest. Supposedly they aren't even sure what it is, virus or something else. They canceled a hunting trip because of worry for their dogs. What is the up to date on canine influenza and other nasties going around?

There were more cases of canine influenza then normal about a month ago in central Minnesota. I don't know of any dogs dying.
    My guess it's a social media blowing up a bunch of rumors. I'd contact a vet in the area I'm concerned about traveling to and get first hand info.
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

I read recently of some dog flu in Montana but that's the only place I've heard in occurring.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Here's the article about the virus in Montana.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/sto...ase/559840001/
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Thanks, it sounds scary. That is an area that I hunt in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Here's the article about the virus in Montana.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/sto...ase/559840001/
    Pretty interesting, Not sure if this is what got my 2 1/2 GSP, Cookie, last year or not. What I do know is we took a week long journey from Ohio stopping in WI to hunt some pen raised birds. From there we went over to Sioux Falls and hunted Public land up to two hours away for two days before heading towards Rapid City stopping along the way hitting a couple of public spots. That was in early to mid November. About a week before Christmas I notice Cookie starting to drop off slightly, by the week after Christmas she started hacking. I took to our local vet and she was diagnosed with pneumonia and a bacterial infection. After a month or so of different rounds of medicines and upper respiratory flushes, the Vet gave up and sent me to Ohio State animal clinic. During this time she developed Horner Syndrome which caused paralyses on the left side of her face. Before I could get her over to OSU, she passed. This i would normally chalk up as a freak illness, however my brother in laws 10 year old English pointer, who hunted with us all week, also got sick with very similar symptoms and died a week before Christmas. Both dogs were up to date on their shots, and were in excellent shape when we left for South Dakota. The two dogs were only around each other for that week as we live 12 or so hours away from one another. Very strange, we were blaming it on some type of air borne virus, or possibly grass awns that got into their lungs. My vet didn't see anything in the lungs on the X-rays but i am not sure you would.

Quote Originally Posted by Poyntem View Post
    Pretty interesting, Not sure if this is what got my 2 1/2 GSP, Cookie, last year or not. What I do know is we took a week long journey from Ohio stopping in WI to hunt some pen raised birds. From there we went over to Sioux Falls and hunted Public land up to two hours away for two days before heading towards Rapid City stopping along the way hitting a couple of public spots. That was in early to mid November. About a week before Christmas I notice Cookie starting to drop off slightly, by the week after Christmas she started hacking. I took to our local vet and she was diagnosed with pneumonia and a bacterial infection. After a month or so of different rounds of medicines and upper respiratory flushes, the Vet gave up and sent me to Ohio State animal clinic. During this time she developed Horner Syndrome which caused paralyses on the left side of her face. Before I could get her over to OSU, she passed. This i would normally chalk up as a freak illness, however my brother in laws 10 year old English pointer, who hunted with us all week, also got sick with very similar symptoms and died a week before Christmas. Both dogs were up to date on their shots, and were in excellent shape when we left for South Dakota. The two dogs were only around each other for that week as we live 12 or so hours away from one another. Very strange, we were blaming it on some type of air borne virus, or possibly grass awns that got into their lungs. My vet didn't see anything in the lungs on the X-rays but i am not sure you would.
    Having stopped in Wisconsin there's a chance your dogs contracted Blastomycosis. I lost my last setter at age 5 to Blasto. It's a fungus that lives in certain soil conditions. With my pup, he started losing weight, then the coughing and by the time my incompetent Vet figured out what was wrong it was too late. The fungus had filled his lungs. The only test is a pee test and samples have to be sent away. A positive Blasto test didn't come back until a week after he died. In the months beforehand, he tested positive for tick borne diseases. A course of antibiotics had him rebound for a few weeks, then downhill. At the time this happened to me only one lab tested for it. It cannot be tested for in the environment and scientists aren't real sure exactly what soil conditions favor it. People can also contract it. I know of one local guy who caught it, survived but suffered permanent brain damage and is on disability, unable to function to hold a job. It's nasty shi!t. A neighborhood here in the Wausau area less than a half mile away from my house has had numerous dogs and people affected. My brother and nieces gold retrievers also caught it in another location, up in Vilas County. After the fact they found out a number of dogs in their neighborhood also died. Needless to say I will NOT take my current dog to visit my brothers place. Local government know of at least 3 neighborhoods where the fungus is prevalent, but they won't tell people where those areas are because they "don't want to alarm people". I no longer hunt locally because I think it's where my dog caught it. Langlade County is where I do most hunting and I don't know of anyone having caught it there. I also hunt in Vilas County, but won't go near my brothers place.
    Born to hunt. Forced to work.

my son lives in the town of wausau and he got blastomycosl this spring .

Interesting, Hope your son's dog receives the treatment he/she deserves.

the outbreak in Montana had killed dogs, at first they thought kennel cough, but the outbreak had gotten worse . The opinion now it may be a mutated version of a flu virus. it is a communicable virus... from all I have heard from our gun dog group. and vet inputs... keeping your dogs out of " dog parks", and away from any neighbors dogs Will stop your dogs from getting the diseases/virus.