Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Benelli 20 Gauge Questions

Chris--

I have three 20ga. A couple pretty nice one's--love them--Found the 20 Benelli to whippy as well
    How ever if I could only have one gun it would be my 12ga. BUL for me the do every thing shotgun-including waterfowl
    JMO-

Waddaya all mean by "whippy"?

very hard to pull up on a bird in a stable fashion...barrel pretty unstable, moving around side to side...probably why trapshooters shoot guns that are fairly heavy. I know why I shoot my 25 year old Montefeltro 12 gauge fairly well...it is over 7 lbs, probably closer to 7.25 or 7.50...when I pull up, it is pointing where it should be, if that makes sense...I sold my 20 gauge monty to a grouse hunter...probably a better use. If I still had that gun I would get it into your hands to shoot for the fall...you are welcome to my beretta AL 391 20 gauge, but that has a forward safety on the trigger guard, vs. the benelli on the rear of the trigger guard...that one difference goofs me up every fall on at least a few birds..I concur that the BUL 12 gauge is the way to go, despite the 3 shot limitation...at 6 lbs, it doesn't seem whippy to me, but it is close to it!

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    very hard to pull up on a bird in a stable fashion...barrel pretty unstable, moving around side to side...probably why trapshooters shoot guns that are fairly heavy. I know why I shoot my 25 year old Montefeltro 12 gauge fairly well...it is over 7 lbs, probably closer to 7.25 or 7.50...when I pull up, it is pointing where it should be, if that makes sense...I sold my 20 gauge monty to a grouse hunter...probably a better use. If I still had that gun I would get it into your hands to shoot for the fall...you are welcome to my beretta AL 391 20 gauge, but that has a forward safety on the trigger guard, vs. the benelli on the rear of the trigger guard...that one difference goofs me up every fall on at least a few birds..I concur that the BUL 12 gauge is the way to go, despite the 3 shot limitation...at 6 lbs, it doesn't seem whippy to me, but it is close to it!
    Thanks for the details and the offer. I can see where a shorter lighter gun can be overswung and unstable. My old SBE was like a glove and the new one is just as comfy. Did not like the front safety which kept me from going to the vinci.

Put the bead on the bird, shoot reasonable distances and a 28 gauge with 2 3/4" shells and a 7/8oz payload of #5 will fold birds up DOA. That is what I have learned. Shot 20 gauges for 15 years and now moved to a 28 gauge. At the end of the day, or better yet, at the end of day 4 my arms are not worn out from toting a heavy gun, and extra weight of pockets full of 1 1/4 oz shells.
    Cheers,
    Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by wolfcreeknc View Post
    Put the bead on the bird, shoot reasonable distances and a 28 gauge with 2 3/4" shells and a 7/8oz payload of #5 will fold birds up DOA. That is what I have learned. Shot 20 gauges for 15 years and now moved to a 28 gauge. At the end of the day, or better yet, at the end of day 4 my arms are not worn out from toting a heavy gun, and extra weight of pockets full of 1 1/4 oz shells.
    Cheers,
    Wolf
    With all due respect. The birds I am talking about downing are 5 pounders, naturally produced, fair chase, in Dec., after 100 hunters have gone thru the place, they flush far and the wind is 20 mph. most make the mistake of under gunning these birds. I am thoroughly impressed with the move from a high brass federal 12, 2 3/4 to a Prairie Storm 12, 2 3/4. Definitely reduces lost birds good dogs or not. Made mistake of not shooting IC choke first time. Started to believe a 20 could deliver same effects as 12 based on research. Speed kills so 200 FPS is still debatable. The luggability and extra shell cap is ++.

Ive settled on a light s auto 12ga 28" at 6.2 pounds . I shoot hot 2 3/4 #2 steel. One gun one load and leave the other 10 guns at home LoL. Check out PF's fall mag page 76 L.P. Brezny on #2 steel shot
    Last edited by wesslpointer; 08-24-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Well I took a little gambit to Cabillies. Shouldered the monti and some other benelli 20's. Big difference is the low rib in monti vs the other ones have high rib like SBE.

I swear the first one they gave me was the compact because it felt short but the other one I put up was standard 47" length and came up ok. It certainly was lighter and felt like it would be a good dove gun too.

Quote Originally Posted by UGUIDE View Post
    With all due respect. The birds I am talking about downing are 5 pounders, naturally produced, fair chase, in Dec., after 100 hunters have gone thru the place, they flush far and the wind is 20 mph. most make the mistake of under gunning these birds. I am thoroughly impressed with the move from a high brass federal 12, 2 3/4 to a Prairie Storm 12, 2 3/4. Definitely reduces lost birds good dogs or not. Made mistake of not shooting IC choke first time. Started to believe a 20 could deliver same effects as 12 based on research. Speed kills so 200 FPS is still debatable. The luggability and extra shell cap is ++.
    Ah, very important criteria not mentioned before. "Fair chase" birds fall just as hard with a load of #5 at a reasonable range from any gun but late season birds in strong winds would suggest I take a 12 gauge out.

Default Cordoba

I own many shotguns in all gauges and a lot of them are higher end guns. If I have to choose one gun to hunt with it would be my Benelli Cordoba 20 gauge with a 28" barrel I have hunted upland birds in 5 or 6 states I very seldom shoot 3" shells in it as I find 1oz of nickle plated #5's pattern well. In my opinion the Benelli auto's are the best you can strip them down in no time, adjust the comb height and recoil pad length in seconds, and they wing really well.