Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an August!

Default What an August!

Recently bopping around with my farmer neighbor and we are checking rain gauges and he says before you dump that out you gotta do something. I say "What's that?" He says "you thank the Lord up above".

And so that's my newest best habitat practice.

The rain and temps we have had this August are like none that I can remember. Everything is super green and super lush. The ground water sources are not recharged yet but the topsoil is set for growth.

Seein birds, seein bugs, seein deer

Unlike the fall drought conditions of 2012 this weather will help insure next years critters have some good cover.

Quote Originally Posted by UGUIDE View Post
    Recently bopping around with my farmer neighbor and we are checking rain gauges and he says before you dump that out you gotta do something. I say "What's that?" He says "you thank the Lord up above".

And so that's my newest best habitat practice.

The rain and temps we have had this August are like none that I can remember. Everything is super green and super lush. The ground water sources are not recharged yet but the topsoil is set for growth.

Seein birds, seein bugs, seein deer

Unlike the fall drought conditions of 2012 this weather will help insure next years critters have some good cover.
    That's a great habitat practice, UGOD...I like it!

The blessings keep coming.. Just got drenched looks like. Hail reports but not sure where (maybe Geddes or west). Places like Dewey county would be lucky to see 4-8" of rain all summer and got that in last week. Looks like most intense was Corsica, Armour, Delmont.

Default S.D weekend report

Here is my report for S.D. Attended a wedding in Pierre, spent a fair amount of time North and East of town (Onida Agar). The drought is the real deal in the area, Dead wheat fields from spraying, everything that can be hayed is, really short, ugly sunflowers and terrible corn, only saw a handful of pheasants during prime time of morning. My rancher/farmer friends said that they have received some rain recently, but it is way to late to save most stuff including the mighty pheasant. We will still hunt out there this season, but it will be for the fellowship and not the # of birds harvested. Not sure how the remainder of the state is fairing, but it is bad in this region.

not surprised...thanks for the update

North of Platte was hammered with a bad hailstorm today!

There was a line of hail that went from Stickney east all the way to Parker today. Not good. Saw some as big as baseballs.

An insurance agent turned me on to this tool. Should show some of the hail reports tomorrow from today.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/

Quote Originally Posted by BigRand View Post
    There was a line of hail that went from Stickney east all the way to Parker today. Not good. Saw some as big as baseballs.
    Here is a map of that storm.

https://maps.interactivehailmaps.com...-SD/2017-08-21

The hail maps are out there but still not accessible enough to tell much other than go look at the corn fields in areas you are concerned about because that will show impact the best.

Looks like a line from Pierre all the Was to Sioux Falls had some reports.