Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: have gun, will travel

Default have gun, will travel

So I got my first dog last fall and this will be my first ever season hunting and I'm wondering if some people wouldn't mind someone tagging along with them. I am not looking to steal spots, just looking to get experience and hopefully put my dog on some birds.
    Greta - 2 year old Small Munsterlander

Have you thought about visiting a game farm? Great experience for shooter and dog. Some facilities will let you do a "trial" before joining. I have used these farms for three of my dogs and it 's a great place to train.

Assume you have introduced the dog to the gun...

Just reviewed the "Major Avenue Gun Club" web site; excellent habitat to train your dog. $25 for an all-day pass plus birds.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by jonnyB; 08-15-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Since it's your first hunting season it would be a good idea to find someone with hunting experience to go with. However, for safety reasons some people may not be real interested in a newbie tagging along. But I sure hope that isn't the case. And also the fact that you have a young inexperienced dog doesn't help. Perhaps you might say a little bit about what experience you have with firearms and also what degree of training your dog has. I'm assuming that you are a younger person and we need more younger people involved in the hunting sports. Maybe post some pics of you and your dog. I do hunt SW Minnesota a few times a year as I'm originally from the Canby area. If the timing works out this fall you could sure tag along with me some day. I only have 60 years experience hunting pheasants. But I also have a young dog, a 13 month old Brittany. Good luck.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

I'll second the post from "Zeb." A little more info. here would help us...

jonnyb's suggestion of a game farm is a great idea. They can provide the birds and also give you some pointers. If you would be interested I would be up for meeting you at the Minnesota Heartland Preserve by Granite Falls sometime in September as I really need to get my pup on some birds soon. I know the people there and they normally have both Chukars and Pheasants.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

I have thought about hitting up game farms, figured I'd hit two or three this year, but they get expensive quick and when I went to a game farm this past spring the birds ran away instead of flying away.

My dog has been through gun and bird intro, been to several training days and goes to training for a month starting next Saturday, I've included a picture of her below.

Unfortunately I'm not that young at 34 years of age so I'm coming to this rather late and there don't seem to be a lot of introductory events for non youth. Last fall my wife and I decided to get our first dog, and since I thought it would be great to get my dad out hunting again and my wife wanted a goldendoodle, I bought her a patio set and got a hunting dog. Unfortunately due to some health issues my father will no longer be able to walk a field, though maybe he can do a really small game farm plot, so I find myself looking for people that I can learn from and maybe even find some hunting buddies. I'll certainly understand if people are hesitant to let an inexperienced hunter with an inexperienced dog tag along as there's the potential to ruin what might otherwise be a good hunt.

I am completely up for giving it a go with people at a game farm, though Greta won't be coming home until September 23rd.

get involved in a training group if you can through NAVHDA or something like that...meet some fellow hunters through the dog connection...start slow with a day trip to some public ground in SW MN...do it again but grab a motel and make it a 2 day deal....but again, use your dog to meet some folks...makes it easier....not saying this won't generate some contacts...but I go on 4 day hunts, and can't risk making a bad invite...no offense...I know that makes sense....I have made bad invites bringing guys I have known for years!!!!

Oh yeah, I'm certainly not looking for multi day trips, just looking to do some day trips. And I totally get it, 4 day trips are a lot to risk for a bad invite.

again, no offense...you know what I mean...just being realistic...

"Training for a month." Your dog points and flushes, right? What does the month-long training look like? Are you participating in this? Are you seeking other hunters to give you and your dog training advice or hunting advice?

I think I would avoid hunting with others, until you and your dog are more seasoned. Often it's difficult to find other hunters that have the same motivation, style, safety concerns et al.

B. Banger has good advice regarding connecting with others...