Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheat harvest

Default Wheat harvest

last couple days wheat harvest is really going in full swing..any reports on bird numbers while cutting?

Harvest has not yet started here. East of Great Bend some are though.

Wheat harvest really got with it a little over a week ago. Hearing mixed results on the wheat, some decent, some really poor. Not hearing many quail reports as of yet

I am hearing good reports south of Wichita. A good friend of mine says 60 to 70 bushel yields, good test weight but low protein. She has seen several broods of pheasant chicks and some quail. It sounds like the phez are just barely able to fly. I will be heading out to Ness City when they get started, and will probably be in an auger wagon for a few days. That is the best job to have to observe the pheasants. It sounds like next week some time is when it will really get going out there.

Fescue seed is under way in Missouri . Have seen 3 broods of quail tonight just sitting on the cooler watching. I am optimistic about quail in Missouri this year

The article below "Kansas Pheasant Outlook and Wheat" is interesting. At the end of the article in the Third Party Comment section, the guy on the ground gives a positive report on what he is seeing on nesting success.

http://www.midwesthunt.com/upland/hu...forecast3.html

Quote Originally Posted by Preston1 View Post
    The article below "Kansas Pheasant Outlook and Wheat" is interesting. At the end of the article in the Third Party Comment section, the guy on the ground gives a positive report on what he is seeing on nesting success.

http://www.midwesthunt.com/upland/hu...forecast3.html
    Preston I am pretty sure that is an old forecast and is not from this year. I am not sure they have this years forecast report out yet.

Wheat harvest has started in the area I hunt, and they are seeing more chicks than last year. They said one field really had a lot of birds which doesn't surprise me, there were a lot of hens left there at the end of season. The chicks are mostly just barely big enough to fly out of the way. I hope to get our their next week and see for myself. They are also seeing a lot of quail again. The snowed on wheat is making more than they had hoped, most of it stood back up and you really can't tell it had heavy snow on it. It looks like they may get some rain in the next week.

Rain and hail last night and more expected this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Rain and hail last night and more expected this afternoon.
    hail bad in Rush county?