Thread: Pudelpointer

Default Pudelpointer

Thinking of getting a another dog.

As of now pudelpointer is top of the list.

Can anyone here answer some questions about the breed please ?

Uncle Buck on this site is a Pudelpointer breeder and should be able to provide you with whatever information you would want on the breed. What specific questions might you have?
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Default pudel

Waterman on this site has one too. I think it's about 3 or 4 years old. I've hunted with them. Good dog. Good discipline. Versitile. He could probably answer questions for you too.
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!

1 what's the Breed like in general?

2 how is it as a indoor pet ?

3 with kids ( not babies )

4 other pets I have a big lab and a basset hound and two worthless cats.

5 is it a good breed for me?
    I hunt ( unfortunately) on the weekends in season for phez and some grouse.
    I probably don't have time everyday ( outside of the puppy stage ) to give daily vigorous exercise but I do run the lab 3-4 times a week and usually take him hiking swimming etc on the weekends when not in hunting season.

My big concern is the exercise thing, I had a field trial GWP and he was off the hook balls to the wall full throttle with the needing exercise. The GWP wasn't a bad dog, I was the wrong owner for him. Long story short I gave him to a banker that works from home and travels the country participating in Field trials
    He's where he needs to be.

That being said I'll be honest I'm not energetic and sometimes I get busy for work so my hunting dog I have now is my lab but he's 6-7 yrs old and in maybe a year or two I'll be getting another dog.

Thanks for any replies

P.S. In everyone's opinion (s) what other breeds do you recommend doesn't matter to me pointer/flusher I personally like larger dogs, labs, GWP, pudelpointer, brocco italiano etc.

Talk with my friend Bob Farris at Cedarwood kennels Meridian Idaho about PP's Tell him a Wesslpointer sent you

Thanks, will do.

I have a draht, but I train with many PPs. So here's my 0.02

1 what's the Breed like in general?

Not a whole lot different than the other versatiles. More in common than different. High drive dogs that live to hunt.

2 how is it as a indoor pet ?

Some good, some bad. Very dependent on mental and physical stimulation.

3 with kids ( not babies )

Not sure

4 other pets I have a big lab and a basset hound and two worthless cats.

All the ones i've met have been very social, nice dogs.

5 is it a good breed for me?

On the whole, I've noticed that these dogs have a lot of run in them. Your satisfaction with this breed will be directly tied to the time you put in, both training wise and in exercise.
    I hunt ( unfortunately) on the weekends in season for phez and some grouse.
    I probably don't have time everyday ( outside of the puppy stage ) to give daily vigorous exercise but I do run the lab 3-4 times a week and usually take him hiking swimming etc on the weekends when not in hunting season.

My big concern is the exercise thing, I had a field trial GWP and he was off the hook balls to the wall full throttle with the needing exercise. The GWP wasn't a bad dog, I was the wrong owner for him. Long story short I gave him to a banker that works from home and travels the country participating in Field trials
    He's where he needs to be.

That being said I'll be honest I'm not energetic and sometimes I get busy for work so my hunting dog I have now is my lab but he's 6-7 yrs old and in maybe a year or two I'll be getting another dog.

Thanks for any replies

IMHO, these dogs (V-dogs) take more work than a lab. Sure there are exceptions, but that's my take. I know some folks that received high octane PPs, nice dogs, but they were way to much for their handlers. Just remember, these dogs have a lot if pointer in them. Pointers are meant to, first and foremost, run.

And the fact that these dogs are in such high demand makes me think finding a litter that will most likely suit you could take many years.

If you aren't sold on a PP, certainly look into the other wirehair breeds. They are all quite similar. Easier to find GWP/DD/WPG breeders that breed dogs that aren't 100% octane. There's also Spinone that are very capable hunters, but don't run to the next area code.

Thank you, that's very useful information.