Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice. Retriever

Default Need some advice. Retriever

Got a 5 month old lab. He's a hard charging pup the problem is he is over running the bumpers. It doesn't matter how close/ far. I'm thinking this will subside with time. Every single time he will literally slide by it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Shawn

ignore it he's a baby he will outgrow it

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    ignore it he's a baby he will outgrow it
    I'll second Bobman's post: my golden will overrun almost every time on grass, not so with a ball in the street or fetching a downed bird.

Thanks guys! I figured he would. I was just thinking if I need to correct anything nows the time.

Default David0311

Quote Originally Posted by Sstone82 View Post
    Thanks guys! I figured he would. I was just thinking if I need to correct anything nows the time.
    Previous posts are 100% right on-

If any thing I would be happy to see that drive and desire--

Both my females --who have placed in Field trials including open, amateur,and qualification--did and some time still will do the same thing--when keyed up-especially on flyer--or on crippled runners--they are 10 and 8 now

Thanks David. Ive had Labs for a very long time but I have never had one with this much drive. its been challenging and yet rewarding at the same time.

Remi, our 4.5 month old black lab is doing the same thing at times and I too was told this is ok. She's just that excited to retrieve. She charges hard on her retrieves(and recall with whistle is even better for us!) its really cute/funny and awesome to see for a young pup with such drive!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorslife89 View Post
    Remi, our 4.5 month old black lab is doing the same thing at times and I too was told this is ok. She's just that excited to retrieve. She charges hard on her retrieves(and recall with whistle is even better for us!) its really cute/funny and awesome to see for a young pup with such drive!
    I've seen my Golden attempt to stop and do a front summersault - now that's enthusiasm!

I have a springer whose feet spin like Fred Flintstone as she tries to stop going past her bumper. Im always afraid shes going to blow out a knee like my Golden did / twice. No fun
    What can you do? Tell her to slow down? Shes an ADHD Tasmanian Devil!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sstone82 View Post
    Got a 5 month old lab. He's a hard charging pup the problem is he is over running the bumpers. It doesn't matter how close/ far. I'm thinking this will subside with time. Every single time he will literally slide by it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Shawn
    Are these marks you are throwing? A gunner in the field throwing marks will help the dog with depth perception.