Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is your top destination for pheasants in the 2017 hunting season?

Default Where is your top destination for pheasants in the 2017 hunting season?

Most of you are probably planning your pheasant hunt for this Fall, or you have already made your plans. Without giving up your honey hole, what is your top destination this Fall? To give you an example, I am planning on hitting an area just north of Pierre, SD. And then heading down to the National Grasslands for some Sharps. Help us out and give at least a little detail of where you are planning on hunting this Fall or what is your favorite destination.

A strip of grass about a half-mile long. We only get to hunt it about twice a year, but have a good relationship with the landowner so that's all that matters.

We hunted around Pierre for a few days last year on public land and then checked out the grasslands. It was overwhelming! How do you hunt that area?
    We had dogs but it just seemed too big to figure out. Any ideas?

Oh, by the way, it was awesome around Kennebec and Presho, but we hunted
    on private land for a fee of $150 per gun. Compared to our limited experiences on public land, it was well worth it considering we traveled from
    northern Illinois. Love to hear what others have to say. PS we did have some luck on public land and road hunting, but 100x as good on private land!

Steve

Haven't figured out where I'm heading yet this fall. I usually wait to see where the rain falls and where the hail falls and where the drought hits. From there I go scout the areas that have been productive in the past for me and run the dog through the ones I'm allowed to. Helps me weed out some of the ones I can cross off or circle. Plus it gets the dog some preseason work. Also try to go look at a few new places that I think will produce. Perks of living in the pheasant capitol. I guess I'll have to let you guys know when the season gets here.

Default 2017

I hunt alone for the most part. I'm gonna stay on the move this year. I'm fixing up a cargo trailer to stay in. I'll start around Miller for a few days and then head north. I want to fish spring lake up near Bowdle. It's supposed to be good walleye lake, so I'll throw my kayak in and give it a try. My dog likes to fish. I"ll hunt some public up around there, too. I'm either gonna head west across the river towards timber lake, or north to the border and fish near Ashley, ND and hunt just over the border in SD. I'm not sure yet. Then I'll head home through Webster and hit a few spots north of there and fish opitz and north waubay. I managed a few birds in that area last year, and a few walleye. When I go back before thankgiving id like to explore a new area. Maybe north of murdo. It always depends on the weather.

Montana!! Then back up to Michigan. Then I'll settle back down closer to home with Kansas and Missouri. Could add Minnesota and go with the four M's but I doubt that happens.
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!

Default Montana

When I'm in Bozeman skiing, am I too far west to pheasant hunt?

Default David 0311

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmorevizslas View Post
    Most of you are probably planning your pheasant hunt for this Fall, or you have already made your plans. Without giving up your honey hole, what is your top destination this Fall? To give you an example, I am planning on hitting an area just north of Pierre, SD. And then heading down to the National Grasslands for some Sharps. Help us out and give at least a little detail of where you are planning on hunting this Fall or what is your favorite destination.
    When not guiding in Winner area plan on --Hunting my own in the--

1- Hoven -- Tolstoy area--then wander over to the Timber Lake area and then where ever seems like a good idea until Thanksgiving or later cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by mgorvi View Post
    When I'm in Bozeman skiing, am I too far west to pheasant hunt?
    No idea. First time going up there. We are hunting from Valentine area down to a little south of Billings. He said central is a sleeper but I dont know much about the areas. Cant wait to find out though!
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!