Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hate for this to be my first post but..

Default oh, almost forgot

BTW - My kids enjoyment of bird hunting means alot to me. Some of my favorite memories are of my brother, dad, uncles and cousins out bird hunting. Had there been no birds to hunt then we probably wouldn't have been out there. So when I say it makes me sad it is for the reason that my kids may never get to enjoy the same memories I have of being in the field.... just sayin

We used to hunt SW Iowa every year in the Corning area. The CRP dissappeared year after year and the pheasant numbers with them.

I don't blame the farmers for trying to make a living there has to be CRP contracts and contracts attractive enough to discourage plowing and planting corn.

It is true that you have had some bad weather in recent years floods and tough winter weather. However with proper habitat their numbers will bounce back quickly. Hopefully (and most things in this life are cyclical) the trend of losing CRP will reverse. Not that I want to see a dust bowl but that was part of the reason CRP program was started to stop the erosion of marginal ground. Our politicians are mainly short sighted and we need to remind them of things like that from time to time and hopefully it sinks in.

I do hope you find a quality place for you and your sons to have a good hunt this year.

Default Thanks

I appriciate the words of encouragement. The problem with politicians and farming is that they can only see the monetary gain from the land and labor of American farmers. Conservation takes a back burner as most of main stream America has no idea what even goes in to making the food that they eat. Plain and simply put, there is no big lobby in Washington for the hunters in this country and therefore no representation.
    Yes, we have had crazy weather cycles around here in recent years, and I think that the combination of weather, predator population rise and CRP loss has made for a devistating combination on our local bird population.
    Oh how I yearn for the days of getting to knock down 20-30 birds in a day with my family. Watching the dogs work and being in the bush from 8 to 430.... puts a smile on my face every time I think about it. I miss it more than most people realize. Thats why I'm glad I found this forum, I figure you guys understand my anguish LOL!

Pheasants Forever and DU lobby thats why it's important to be a member.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant14 View Post
    Oh how I yearn for the days of getting to knock down 20-30 birds in a day with my family. Watching the dogs work and being in the bush from 8 to 430.... puts a smile on my face every time I think about it. I miss it more than most people realize. Thats why I'm glad I found this forum, I figure you guys understand my anguish LOL!
    "A sorrow's crown of sorrow is remembering happier things." Lord Alfred Tennyson.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant14 View Post
    I appriciate the words of encouragement. The problem with politicians and farming is that they can only see the monetary gain from the land and labor of American farmers. Conservation takes a back burner as most of main stream America has no idea what even goes in to making the food that they eat. Plain and simply put, there is no big lobby in Washington for the hunters in this country and therefore no representation.
    Yes, we have had crazy weather cycles around here in recent years, and I think that the combination of weather, predator population rise and CRP loss has made for a devistating combination on our local bird population.

Oh I also have to agree with you on the predators. Last year was my first time to South Dakota. We went and stayed at Pierre. There was snow on the ground the entire time. The pheasants had no cover we could see them on the ground and saw way over a thousand. We saw one predator a red fox. Here in Indiana too they just don't get it. In fact they keep bringing predators in. The best places to hunt here are guys that own large tracts of land and kill off the predators with poison in the summer. Not that thats always a good idea though because pets and or hunting dogs can eat poison too.

Come on 14. Don't be drinkin' koolaid with Safari! (just trying to keep things stirred up.
    ________
    FORD D186 PLATFORM HISTORY
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 02-18-2011 at 03:24 AM.

I hunted that area around Mt Ayr alot as a kid 25 years ago with my family. It blows me away that it is that bad now. Sorry to hear things have gotten so bad for you. From what I have been reading it's been more about the weather for the last several years then the habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by texasbirdhunter View Post
    I hunted that area around Mt Ayr alot as a kid 25 years ago with my family. It blows me away that it is that bad now. Sorry to hear things have gotten so bad for you. From what I have been reading it's been more about the weather for the last several years then the habitat.
    Its a combination of everything. CRP is getting plowed under, the past two or three winters have bad and the springs have been wet. There are less and less attractive places to hunt, but if you are a true "hunter", you will go to the end of the earth to find what you want.

My uncle has a farm close o Lenox, used to hunt there every year since I was 12. Three years ago we went the whole season and saw only one bird. 2200 acres, really good cover, waterways, IMO its not a matter of CRP, its a matter of birds just not being there anymore. Really sad.

My dad and I just came back from Souh D, hunted around the Watertown area on public land. We had the best time, birds were everywhere even with so much corn still out. Just had to time it right-morning before noon, and then from 3:30 to sunset for road hunting. Since we hunted public, and there was a lot of good land off the beaten path, we had very good luck. We traveled light, split the bills, and stayed at a Super 8, probably did the week trip for $500 each
    Last edited by slodes; 11-21-2009 at 05:41 PM.