Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hate for this to be my first post but..

Little has changed in nth IA, there was really not much CRP anytime. Birds have flurished because of the 10 years of mild winters. They have the grove winter program down good. Hanging out right in farm yards and wooded river bottoms. The bird numbers were un believable untill last winter and all that dam freezing rain. That is what knocked them down. Up there they simply could not get food for too long. There is still a fair amount around but not like last year. It will take a few years of decent weather and they will be back. When I was in IA City last weekend I saw 1 pheasant between there and MN. But that was mostly freeway. Saw some guys out hunting though. The rooster I saw was in Charles City. I will have a good Nth IA report in a couple weeks. Seen 50 or so by a public here yesterday. I plan on educating them on hunter respect tomorrow. Hang in there and it will get better. Try asking on some private spots. As far as getting rid of the dogs, well you could buy birds cheap and release them on any day and go hunting. Cheaper in the long run any way, at least till you find greener pastures. Roosters here right now would run 7$, and they fly like a wild bird. 1 was born on the other side of a fence from the other is all. Still taste the same
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Good habitat, (ie. crp) can protect birds from weather and predators. If southwest Iowa can catch a break from the bad winters and wet springs I think the birds will slowly rebound.

I've read studies (sponsored by pf maybe?) that showed where there was overlap turkeys actively destroyed pheasant nests.