Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: American Lab vs. English Lab

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rancho mirage CA
    Posts
    104

    Default Labs

    Sure Chestle
    Breeder is Kenya Labradors Santa Margarita CA
    WWW kenyalabradors.com
    1st class operation
    Jim

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    You have the right to buy dogs from any breeder you choose.
    However I find it irresponsible to promote buying from breeders that don't do recommended and widely accepted health testing. The only reason to skip testing is to save a couple bucks. It's not like the test is risky or painful...... it's a couple of x rays and $200ish. Many buyers are not going to research (or even know how to) the pedigree of a perspective pup.

    If a breeder doesn't test for the usual breed specific "problems". Run away fast as they are only in it to make a buck. I hate when money trumps improving the breed.

    Rancho go ahead a flame away at me. I stand behind my statement 100%

    Sorry for going off topic, I didn't want to hijack the thread but I couldn't let an irresponble statement go unchecked.

    Steve
    You are better off just to ignore his nonsense.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    You are better off just to ignore his nonsense.
    No doubt you are correct....but what the hell!
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

  4. #24

    Default

    There are greater differences in individual lines of Labradors than in supposed nationality of those lines. Find a line of dogs you like from someone you know who owns one you like and buy a pup from those lines (try your local Hunt Test or Field Trial club). Even then there can be pretty stark differences in attitude and sometime ability between littermates.

    How will your wife know if the lab you are getting is American or British? If you find one you like and it's not British, just don't tell her.

    If you are dead set on a British dog (and I'm not judging, I was when I first bought a lab), there are a couple kennels that are nearly universally praised and recommended. Double TT is one of them. I bought a dog from Double TT about 4 years ago, and that dog was so close what is usually advertised with British labs that I did not consider another Labrador breeder when I bought a second pup.
    Last edited by s.davis; 02-21-2017 at 03:23 PM.

  5. #25

    Default David0311

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    You have the right to buy dogs from any breeder you choose.
    However I find it irresponsible to promote buying from breeders that don't do recommended and widely accepted health testing. The only reason to skip testing is to save a couple bucks. It's not like the test is risky or painful...... it's a couple of x rays and $200ish. Many buyers are not going to research (or even know how to) the pedigree of a perspective pup.

    If a breeder doesn't test for the usual breed specific "problems". Run away fast as they are only in it to make a buck. I hate when money trumps improving the breed.

    Rancho go ahead a flame away at me. I stand behind my statement 100%

    Sorry for going off topic, I didn't want to hijack the thread but I couldn't let an
    irresponble statement go unchecked.


    Steve
    X-10

    Steve--thanks for that reply---saved my a lot of typing

  6. #26

    Default David0311

    Quote Originally Posted by ranchodeluxe View Post
    Your right, that's one thing you never see, a huge old lab, just barely limping along. I should start to video them, I see them daily.

    Like I mentioned before, I suspect that an 8 mile dirt bike run at 6k feet would expose they aren't in the kind of shape you think.
    Yep --running a dog 8 miles a day--behind a dirt bike-(or so you say) would be really good for their hips--(or do they just nug along--opp's sorry wrong thread-)

    Do you make this run (where you run into the mountain lions-badgers all the time-- oop's wrong thread again )on your way to the dog park where you see all these crippled up dogs?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    171

    Default British Labs

    Aye Mates,
    Here's me own British Lab out o' DOUBLE TT BRITISH LABRADOR KENNELS. BIRD DRIVEN, HUNT AND HUNT TEST PROVEN, AND AN ABSOLUTE JOY AS A COMPANION RETRIEVER. I have had him tested for OFA Certification of hips and elbows, CERF, EIC, CNM and Brucellosis, and all being completed recently studed him to another very nice British female.

    The retrievers produced through the selective breeding program of Haynes and Colleen Floyd are superb.👌

    Cheers,
    Irishwhistler ☘️

    HR TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jones County, SD
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    You have the right to buy dogs from any breeder you choose.
    However I find it irresponsible to promote buying from breeders that don't do recommended and widely accepted health testing. The only reason to skip testing is to save a couple bucks. It's not like the test is risky or painful...... it's a couple of x rays and $200ish. Many buyers are not going to research (or even know how to) the pedigree of a perspective pup.

    If a breeder doesn't test for the usual breed specific "problems". Run away fast as they are only in it to make a buck. I hate when money trumps improving the breed.

    Rancho go ahead a flame away at me. I stand behind my statement 100%

    Sorry for going off topic, I didn't want to hijack the thread but I couldn't let an irresponble statement go unchecked.

    Steve
    And I find it responsible to promote world-class breeders like Glenwood Kennels. You know not of what you speak. If you have documented generations of world class dogs devoid of health issues, it's a waste of money, because there is no problem, if a problem arose, my breeder would first be horrified, then she would buy my dog back.

    I know nothing of pedigrees, but I am not a fool, I am a simple man. A simple man gets in the truck, drives to the kennel, checks out its condition, the condition of the breeding stock ( I do know what a world-class spaniel looks like, at a glance), the condition of the pups, and the breeders willingness to allow this inspection. Armed with this info I can tell you if I would consider buying a dog from that breeder.

    BTW, if you want to look at pedigrees, search "Glenwood Kennel", check their posted pedigrees, then educate me about the quality of their dogs. For instance, if my dog has the 1983 UK National Champ in her bloodlines, is that a good thing?

    You aristocrat types think you are soooo smart, I beg to differ. A dog is a dog and I know them well.
    There's lots of things along the road, I'd surely like to see
    I'd like to lean into the wind and tell myself I'm free......Townes Van Zant

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jones County, SD
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    No doubt you are correct....but what the hell!
    It is easier to ignore, and lose the debate.
    There's lots of things along the road, I'd surely like to see
    I'd like to lean into the wind and tell myself I'm free......Townes Van Zant

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jones County, SD
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david0311 View Post
    Yep --running a dog 8 miles a day--behind a dirt bike-(or so you say) would be really good for their hips--(or do they just nug along--opp's sorry wrong thread-)

    Do you make this run (where you run into the mountain lions-badgers all the time-- oop's wrong thread again )on your way to the dog park where you see all these crippled up dogs?


    Been doing it for years, my last two dogs were still hunting in their fifteenth year of life. No running a dog does not hurt them a bit.

    And yes.
    There's lots of things along the road, I'd surely like to see
    I'd like to lean into the wind and tell myself I'm free......Townes Van Zant

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •