Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Vest or No Vest?

Default Dog Vest or No Vest?

Dog Vest or No Vest? If so what brand?

Mine wear Mendota skid plates. They get rubbed raw without them.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GWP14 View Post
    Dog Vest or No Vest? If so what brand?

Always! Have to protect the dog. Nothing more terrible than waiting all year for SD and have a dog tear themselves open on some old barb wire.

I use the Cabela's brand. I run the ripstop vest early which is a light vest. In Dec I run the Cableas 5mm neoprene. Both vest in a blaze orange of course for the added safety for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by BeirlSetters View Post
    Always! Have to protect the dog. Nothing more terrible than waiting all year for SD and have a dog tear themselves open on some old barb wire.

I use the Cabela's brand. I run the ripstop vest early which is a light vest. In Dec I run the Cableas 5mm neoprene. Both vest in a blaze orange of course for the added safety for the dog.
    I too run the cabelas neoprene. But my dog goes through at least one per year. Sometimes two. But they do protect them well.
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Mine wear Mendota skid plates. They get rubbed raw without them.
    Do you run a short hair or long-haired dog? The reason I ask is, does the skidplate protect the underbelly well? Does it move around alot?

Quote Originally Posted by PheasantWhisperer View Post
    I too run the cabelas neoprene. But my dog goes through at least one per year. Sometimes two. But they do protect them well.
    I do agree a hard working dog in SD will go through a neoprene vest in a season. Because of the terrain I don't know what would hold up better.

Way too warm yet in SD for anything that holds body heat, but ya, my dogs shred neoprene vests in short order. Last year my male jumped through a sheep fence backed with barbed wire that not only laid the vest open, but the dogs back, from end to end. He never noticed and was happy to keep hunting, but had to stop and clean the wound, then listen to him snivel in his box all day.. Good nutrition makes all the difference in the healing process.
    There's lots of things along the road, I'd surely like to see
    I'd like to lean into the wind and tell myself I'm free......Townes Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by ranchodeluxe View Post
    Way too warm yet in SD for anything that holds body heat, but ya, my dogs shred neoprene vests in short order. Last year my male jumped through a sheep fence backed with barbed wire that not only laid the vest open, but the dogs back, from end to end. He never noticed and was happy to keep hunting, but had to stop and clean the wound, then listen to him snivel in his box all day.. Good nutrition makes all the difference in the healing process.
    Normally the top of the vest wears first from tears and rips from the barbed wire. After looking at the damage to the vest I am sure glad the dog has one on. I like the cabelas brand due to the wide heavy velco for closing the vest. I have had vests with the buckles and straps and never did like them.

Agreed. My oldest Vizsla goes through one per year on average. Usually getting her another one toward the end of the year that she can wear till about January of the following year. But yeah the way the vest looks, Im glad I make her wear it. Problem is heat. On hot days I wish I had something lighter to protect her. She is one nipple less than what she was born with because of not having a vest on her on a warmer day. But the light vests with straps over the back just havent worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by PheasantWhisperer View Post
    Agreed. My oldest Vizsla goes through one per year on average. Usually getting her another one toward the end of the year that she can wear till about January of the following year. But yeah the way the vest looks, Im glad I make her wear it. Problem is heat. On hot days I wish I had something lighter to protect her. She is one nipple less than what she was born with because of not having a vest on her on a warmer day. But the light vests with straps over the back just havent worked well.
    I run the ripstop vests with the buckles in warm weather. My wife yells at me all the time because the occasional dog gets hung up on the fence. Young dogs can make a mess of themselves if they get hung up. I have had to do a few 100 yard dashes to get to a dog hung up. Also the vest provides some protection against the burrs as well. We all know how wonderful it is to remove them and the pain it causes the dogs if not removed.