Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wisconsin Opener!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deweybagger View Post
    That's the best closeup picture I have
    Yeah, that's good. Thank you The bird in the photo is a wild bird too?

The past few years I've noticed some changes within the bloodline of wild birds---in some areas within Wisconsin. They're showing Lighter plumage/Manchurian/Chinese traits now. Seems the states pen birds are starting to penetrated the wild bird bloodlines in some areas.

Thanks again
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Don't believe the areas he's hunting see any state stocked birds.

Wisconturkey---it's not vital that I know this but out of curiosity, how many years can you remember the birds being of this lighter variation in color and is the habitat isolated from other areas w/wild pheasants?

Thanks

Nick
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

I couldn't really answer that I just shoot the things and occasionally check the beak to see if it looks like it was pen raised.

I shot very few pheasants in Wi last year and I've been in Montana since before pheasants opened this year and won't return to Wisconsin until just prior to deer opener. I may not even shoot a Wi pheasant this year.

We hear pheasants all over in the spring while turkey hunting, wouldn't think anyone would be stocking birds when you can't hunt them.

Based on that I assumed we are hunting naturally occurring birds, I do always look at the tails and beaks, also seems these birds we shoot are a bit bigger than game farm birds, maybe look a bit healthier and definitely stronger flyers.

These birds don't hold, they seem to run and zigzag like crazy, then they finally will hold and flush at cover changes, we've had 400+yard trailing jobs this year and the season isn't even a month old.

The rooster I shot opening day we trailed it about 300 yards before it lost its cool
    Is this the traits of wild or pen raised birds?

The state doesn't stock birds up there and I've ran into a lot of wild acting birds up there including a lot of hens. With pheasants you just never know though my Dad shot a black on on federal land up there and I'm sure that came from someone's pen.

There are several game farms around, one with a WPA or state land on the other side of the fence, obviously that land is going to have pen birds on it and about every less than serious pheasant hunter goes there and pounds that area. I know they are there but I avoid the obvious and the weekend warriors, I like to get my birds with dog work and miles on my boots (Only exercise I get) lol

Now when it comes to practice, tournaments or getting the kids on some birds without the endless hours and miles of walking for that one shot, I'll pay to play.
    Keeps their interest up being new and with the lack of shooting opportunities here in Wisconsin, can't wait to get them to SD!

Thanks for the info guys. Best of luck out there