Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's new with Ohio's bird hunters?

Default What's new with Ohio's bird hunters?

Let's hear from you.

Anyone have anything new, new dog, guns, trucks?

Trips planned?

How's the off season been ?

Youth hunt's scheduled?

Let's get this board going

The highways leading out of this poor bird hunting state will see me often this season.

Wow ! That's one way to get a conversation going, but I can't disagree.. Ohio is not a state loaded with wild birds, it does have quite of few good preserves which allow your dog a chance to have some fun. Just wondering when you leave where do you travel? I hunt quail in SC a couple times a year and this year we're heading to SD for pheasants. Iknow a fewguys that go up to MI for grouse andwoodcock.

The UP for grouse and woodcock, PA for their wonderful pheasants, and KS for the real thing.

I have permission to hunt a farm in Ross Co. for ringnecks. But only after deer seasons.

Oh for the days of hunt-able grouse populations.

Just got back today from Grouse hunting in Michigan. Hunted mostly the GEMS, both in lower and the U.P. Due to an injury with my older dog, it ended up being just me and the pup. She did well for her first trip, although I did not hit any birds, because she likes to chase when they flush. Had to hold my shots. We will be working on fixing that this weekend.

Bird hunting n Ohio is depressing. Each year I go to South Dakota to hunt. I wish Ohio had those type of bird numbers. Thinking about Kansas this year, but looks like the same length drive as South Dakota.
    Ohiouplandhunting.com

I too, will be going to the UP of Michigan for a grouse/woodcock/duck hunt, scheduled for October 17-21st. It certainly doesn't help the state of affairs when this year the DNR again lowers the total number of pheasants they are releasing statewide. I wish they would require a stamp or extra license already and invest the money back into it, just like they do waterfowl.

Heading to SD in November, and possibly Iowa in December. May try to find some time to get to MI in the next couple weeks. Been training all summer long, my brother and I each have new pups.

Heading to SD mid November. New dog and will take the old man(dog)along also to stumble along some road ditches to make sure he doesn't get lost since his eye sight is all but gone. He did fine on the pair of roosters at the youth hunt a couple weeks ago. The old nose still works great. Can't wait to see the youngster get on some wild birds out west.

For those going to Michigan. I went to as many as the GEMS areas I could. Some are better than others. If you're taking a young dog or like me have leg issues they deserve a look. The have paths cut through the best habitat. I used them to train the young dog. I wills say the bird numbers are not what they are in other areas, especially in the U.P. And there are a lot of hunters around them, but we did get 4 flushes in under a half hour at one. And overall averaged one flush per hour in them.
    Ohiouplandhunting.com

Quote Originally Posted by tript2009 View Post
    I too, will be going to the UP of Michigan for a grouse/woodcock/duck hunt, scheduled for October 17-21st. It certainly doesn't help the state of affairs when this year the DNR again lowers the total number of pheasants they are releasing statewide. I wish they would require a stamp or extra license already and invest the money back into it, just like they do waterfowl.
    I'm with you, a stamp or something. PA is scheduled to loose their stocking program, after watching one of the videos on how they do it, i was hoping it would com west a state. Some of the guys over there are calling for a pheasant stamp also.