Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heart Attack Survivors - Any Tips?

Yeah, I'm a Texan now. I really like Texas overall except that there's no public hunting to speak of. For anything. That totally sucks, a BIG negative for me.

At an early age I was hunting rabbits and quail in Missouri with my Dad My Mom made an outstanding rabbit fricassee. In college (Jayhawk) I started hunting pheasant in Kansas. Kansas, IMO, is (or was last time I hunted there) pretty much a public land bird hunter's paradise. I do miss that.

Last decade though I've pretty much been pure SD for pheasant. No regrets there either.

Long drive up from DFW, isn't it? Worth it though.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedHunter View Post
    Thanks for the response and good wishes.

How long before hunting season was your attack? Mine was at the end of July.

Do you carry nitro or aspirin when you go out?
    My heart attack occurred some 8 months before bird season, but it wasn't as severe as yours. I was back to normal activities fairly quickly. I always have low-dose aspirin in my first aid kit that I carry. Now that I am 68, I have slowed down a bit & don't hunt nearly as hard as I used to do.
    Last edited by koja48; 10-05-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Dogs . . . I've loved them all . . . the good, the bad, the mediocre, the spectacular. God never made a more loyal & trusting creature than a dog. No small wonder that the same three letters spell two words very important to me . . .

I always carry Nitro. My doc is a hunter and he said that in many instances with heart attacks the patients are too far away from good medical care and do not survive. Hunters % is even worse as they are usually in remote areas. He told me that the Nitro will give whoever has the heart attack at least a chance to make it to good care. Especially for people in the hills away from roads where the nearest Hospital could be 2-4 hours away. You just never know but I like to be prepaired to some extent. Glad you are on the mend.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" YOGI

Quote Originally Posted by BleuBijou View Post
    I always carry Nitro. My doc is a hunter and he said that in many instances with heart attacks the patients are too far away from good medical care and do not survive. Hunters % is even worse as they are usually in remote areas. He told me that the Nitro will give whoever has the heart attack at least a chance to make it to good care. Especially for people in the hills away from roads where the nearest Hospital could be 2-4 hours away. You just never know but I like to be prepaired to some extent. Glad you are on the mend.
    Thank you

Good luck this season

Quote Originally Posted by Chestle View Post
    Yeah, I'm a Texan now. I really like Texas overall except that there's no public hunting to speak of. For anything. That totally sucks, a BIG negative for me.

At an early age I was hunting rabbits and quail in Missouri with my Dad My Mom made an outstanding rabbit fricassee. In college (Jayhawk) I started hunting pheasant in Kansas. Kansas, IMO, is (or was last time I hunted there) pretty much a public land bird hunter's paradise. I do miss that.

Last decade though I've pretty much been pure SD for pheasant. No regrets there either.

Long drive up from DFW, isn't it? Worth it though.
    We hunt in SW Kansas. It is a very long drive and seems a lot longer on the way home.

Had my "widow maker" and stint put in on September 23, 2015 and hunted quail in November and pheasant in December. Didn't really diet but began drinking tons of water and eating smaller portions and dropped about 60 pounds. Now I try to exercise regularly and continue to eat better and all is good. Also, carry my little brown bottle of Nitrostat everywhere I go. Have your blood sugars checked. I never had issues but after my heart attack, I'm now borderline Type II diabetic and have Meds for that as well.
    One thing I do recommend if you have a smartphone...enter all your health data including medications. If you have another attack the doctors can access your info and get a head start on your issues.
    JMc
    Fritch, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Since the first of the year I have had two heart attacks and in April double bypass surgery. 6 weeks after surgery I went into cardiac rehab for 3 months. Now I'm in the gym 4 days a week. So far so good. I'm much stronger now than last year. I'm headed to SD next month and hopefully it will go well.
    Hope all is now well. You worked hard for renewed health.
    - From the office of Colt, Stoeger, Browning & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

Quote Originally Posted by JMc View Post
    Had my "widow maker" and stint put in.
    My friend said that when the stent was put in he immediately felt like "a new man" as he lay on the procedure table.
    Last edited by BritChaser; 10-13-2016 at 03:50 PM.
    - From the office of Colt, Stoeger, Browning & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country