Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone heading out for small game opener?

Quote Originally Posted by 1pheas4 View Post
    Those babies can be pretty potent. How did you cook them to make them taste so good?

Nick
    Marinated in soy sauce. Then seasoned with Montreal seasoning. Browned in a fry pan, olive oil and some minced garlic. Lightly browned on each side, then turned the heat way down and let them sit for a few minutes to heat through, ended up done medium.

It was getting a little late, so I took the shortcut of just the breast. I've also done this with a hearty type of mushroom and large onion pieces. Can add zuchini, asparagus, artichoke hearts, whatever trips your trigger, some salt, pepper, basil and oregano, butter. Spoon over a bead of pasta.

I know they have a stronger taste, which is why my wife and daughters don't like them.

I also make woodcock rumaki appetizers with them. Marinated in soy sauce, Montreal seasoned. Wrap a half breast with a couple slices of water chestnut in a slice of bacon, skewer with a toothpick. Grill [i prefer on a charcoal grill] or broil, add some brown sugar and allow that to carmelize. Even people who don't eat wild game go crazy over them.
    Born to hunt. Forced to work.

Yeah, thanks for the recipes Ranger. Uplandhunter came into the shop today. He said he has a few in his freezer. I might see if I can get a couple from him to cook up.

Thanks again

Nick
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com