Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Kent Bismuth & Pheasants?

I think a lot has to do with the pheasants. Are they flushing early and you are having to make longer shots
    or are they holding tighter with close shots. I started using Hevishot Duck 4's on the late season birds
    that I have to shoot at extended ranges.

http://kentgamebore.com/upland-loads...hotshells.html

I saw some of these and almost picked them up. $30 for a box of 25. New or just repackaged.

I also going to try some of the new Hevi X on pheasants

Default 2018 Anecdotal Report

First time trying the Kent Bismuth today. Was shooting a 12 gauge Rizzini O/U, choked IC and Modified. Hunting pheasant on SD public land. Flushed 3 roosters, first one was about 15 yards, the other 2 my dog flushed at about 20-25 yards. All 3 birds dropped on the first shot at each. Autopsy results showed broken wings and legs, as well as shot going through the breast into the vitals. One was going away, the other 2 were quartering away shots.

The shot had no problem going through feathers and bones. I was using the bismuth #5 shot, going 1350 fps according to the box.

My usual go to load is the B&P Long Range 1 1/4oz #5. The Kent shells didn't recoil as bad as the B&P shells. However the shot dragged in feathers worse than the plated lead shot of the B&P shells. These were lightly feathered, young of the year roosters but they were still pretty sturdy with heavy bones and full plumage.

Obviously this is very unscientific but this is the first time I ever used anything for upland other than lead. I was very happy with the performance of the Kent bismuth and plan on using it for the rest of the season. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie1026 View Post
    First time trying the Kent Bismuth today. Was shooting a 12 gauge Rizzini O/U, choked IC and Modified. Hunting pheasant on SD public land. Flushed 3 roosters, first one was about 15 yards, the other 2 my dog flushed at about 20-25 yards. All 3 birds dropped on the first shot at each. Autopsy results showed broken wings and legs, as well as shot going through the breast into the vitals. One was going away, the other 2 were quartering away shots.

The shot had no problem going through feathers and bones. I was using the bismuth #5 shot, going 1350 fps according to the box.

My usual go to load is the B&P Long Range 1 1/4oz #5. The Kent shells didn't recoil as bad as the B&P shells. However the shot dragged in feathers worse than the plated lead shot of the B&P shells. These were lightly feathered, young of the year roosters but they were still pretty sturdy with heavy bones and full plumage.

Obviously this is very unscientific but this is the first time I ever used anything for upland other than lead. I was very happy with the performance of the Kent bismuth and plan on using it for the rest of the season. Hope this helps!
    So tell me how you were hunting in SD on public land when the season doesn’t start until the third week in October. Oh and an o/u fires two not three so your three roosters were taken with something else.

SO did you think they were probably 3 differen't flushes ? Possibly pay to hunt ?

3 different flushes seems likely. Paying to hunt public land doesn't. Next guess?
    Hint: I, too, have had excellent results with bismuth #5 on SD public land many, many times, even on the 2nd weekend in October.
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 10-14-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    So tell me how you were hunting in SD on public land when the season doesn’t start until the third week in October.

Can't wait to hear the response to this one.

Default David0311

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    So tell me how you were hunting in SD on public land when the season doesn’t start until the third week in October. Oh and an o/u fires two not three so your three roosters were taken with something else.
    Maybe instead of the sarcasm—you should look at the laws and realize that he is no doubt referring to the RESIDENT HUNTING OPENER-
    As to your snide remark on the three birds and you knowledge of over and unders -
    He never stated it was a triple-just that he took 3 birds during his hunt—
    Also you should be aware that over and unders can be reloaded —thus 3 shots during the hunt-

Maybe a apology is in order

Here's a head-scratcher for you, George. I shot these roosters legally today in about 90 minutes, in South Dakota, on "public" land.
    1 w/ Kent bismuth 5's. 2 w/ Fiocchi lead 5's. How in the WORLD could I have accomplished such a thing??
    (hint: an un-plugged 16 ga. autoloader was involved but has nothing to do w/ the answer)
    101418buzzleah.jpg
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 10-18-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster