Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kent Bismuth & Pheasants?

Isn't the Rio only available in 3"?

Quote Originally Posted by Deweybagger View Post
    Isn't the Rio only available in 3"?
    No they're 2 3/4" loads but I'm only seeing 12ga stuff in stock online, the rest is almost impossible to find.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oops hit the button before I added more info....
    We've been shooting game farm pheasants and chukar with great results, my daughter is rather small framed so she's been shooting the 1 1/16 oz #6's and they are doing great on pheasants, I'm saving all my boxes of 1 3/8 oz #5's for my wpa pheasant hunting.

I've shot about 150 birds so far this preseason and I'd say the bismuth 5's are right on par with the 1 3/8oz OR 1.5 oz #6 lead Kent upland (the 1.5 oz 6's are by far my favorite upland shell)

The bismuth 1 1/16 oz kick less than AA super sporting clays and toasts strong flyers with the skeet choke at 25-35 yards, so for younger/smaller shooters or those that are smarter, these are a great Light recoil option.

Dewey, I really don't care but why the expensive stuff for pen raised birds?

I must admit that hevi shot is making a killing off me since I insist on shooting my 28ga mostly and the Rio isn't available right now except in 7s. As for my 20ga guns I've found that steel works fine.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    Dewey, I really don't care but why the expensive stuff for pen raised birds?

I must admit that hevi shot is making a killing off me since I insist on shooting my 28ga mostly and the Rio isn't available right now except in 7s. As for my 20ga guns I've found that steel works fine.
    Mostly testing for tournaments and we hunt a lot of public land that requires nontoxic loads, we probably shoot box for box 10/25
    We also get cases of ammo free so we test trying to get the best combos possible, patterns and harvest in real hunting situations....possibly a little OCD!

This may be useful...

"With a gravimetric density of 7.86 grams per cubic centimeter (gms/cc), steel is the lightest of the bunch, followed by bismuth, at 9.60 gms/cc; Tungsten-Iron, at 10.30; Tungsten Matrix, at 10.60; lead, at 11.10; and, the real heavyweight in the ring, Hevi-Shot, at 12 gms/cc."

When in SD I use a Kent Fast Lead 3" 5 shot 12 ga round. It has 1-3/4 oz of shot! Very good on pheasants. I am also trying a higher velocity 3" 4 shot 12 ga steel round at my hunt club which requires only steel. So far it works great. You will need to use steel shot in SD for pheasants if you in a state owned Game Production Area (GPA) or Waterfowl Management Area (WMA).

My son has used a Kent 2-3/4" #5 12 ga Bismuth round on pheasants and it works great too.

Quote Originally Posted by peashooter View Post
    Hello, first post to the forum. I'll be taking my first trip to South Dakota for Pheasants this year. Will probably take some #2 or #3 steel along as cheaper backup, but want to try some of the "Like Lead" alternatives too.

I like the price of the Kent Bismuth loads as well as a couple of the loads they load it in. I've read some mixed reviews of it being great and killing like lead, and a few that weren't so excited about it. Also read that by itself, Bismuth is brittle but Kent has improved it (guessing by adding something to it?).

Long story, has anybody hunted with the new Kent Bismuth? How well did it kill birds? Thinking I'd go with one of the #5 loads somewhere around 1350 fps.

Thank you,

Tucker
    I am not a fan of any steel....it simply is not as effective as the
    more expensive non-toxic offerings...I use the Hevishot shells
    and love them

Good to know! How long have you worked for Environmetal?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by peashooter View Post
    Good to know! How long have you worked for Environmetal?
    LOL....they are great shells

Now that the season is underway, any more reports on bismuth? I've still got a box + of tungsten-matrix that I might as well shoot up, but had a case of 1 oz. bismuth 5's delivered a couple weeks ago. I've been in love w/ the tungsten-matrix for my 16 gauge. Hope these new bismuth are what I want them to be. Way back when Winchester made them, they sure worked well on pheasants, but it seems to me those were 4's I was shooting, and not terribly fast - maybe 1250 at the most?