Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Kent Bismuth & Pheasants?

Yeah, I know. Sometimes the less a guy knows, the better. I've patterned hundreds of loads through my guns, but I'll never pattern Kent bismuth in my Sweet 16. I know they kill well. No sense finding something I'm not expecting on the paper & blowing my confidence.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I remember a very famous bowyer from Montana who had built an Osage self bow and won a lot of traditional 3D tournaments and killed lots of deer and elk with it.
    The comments about how smooth and fast it cast got him to thinking and one day he put it through his chronograph.
    To his dismay it was a TOAD! he stated in his article that he almost broke the danged thing trying to get it too go as fast as he had expected it should LOL!
    I just tell everyone that asks" heck I dunno, it kills and that is thee goal!!"
    DT

31E706E3-9EF7-4635-B7F0-917299DF9FF3.jpeg

These birds where all taken with Kent Bismuth, 25 to 45yds

SxS 20 ga #5 2 3/4 shells and 3” 1 Oz #4

I am very pleased with the load :

Yesterday my daughter thought shotguns get too heavy & didn't want to carry her BPS 20. So she left the shooting to me.
    1.5 hrs on a Waterfowl Production Area up around Arlington, SD.
    Browning Sweet 16 (traditional model, Japanese mfr); modified choke.
    Kent Bismuth #5; 1 oz at 1300 fps. 3 shells. (as it's suppose to be done)
    All 3 in the 30-35 yd range. 2 DOA; 1 straight-away gave springer Buzz a chance for a brief tussle. Buzz won.
    We had a great time!
    1104181641b.jpg
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Great photo, Bret. Helpful to have an assistant carry the birds...

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    Great photo, Bret. Helpful to have an assistant carry the birds...
    Thanks, & I agree. Unfortunately, as is often the case w/ dads, I end up doing most of the heavy lifting, while she ends up being the photo model. Buzz, of course, carries them the short distance from where he finds them, back to me. But otherwise, neither of them work very hard.