Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Kent Bismuth & Pheasants?

My apologies was really thrown off and didnít realize that there was a resident opener. Iím from Illinois so thereís just one set start to the season. In the future I wonít post at 12 in the morning after having some cocktails.

Another head scratcher. Why won't that pic come in the right way???
    (Update: Figured it out. Had to decrease the pixel size to get it to come in vertically rather than horizontally.)
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 10-18-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I got some bismuth the other day finally, can't wait to try it out on the opener this weekend. I didn't buy the Kent however I found a new shell company called Boss shot shells 20 round boxes for $26. Hopefully they do ok.

I am late to this thread , have actually forgot about the forum because I normally hang elsewhere .
    I have used Bismuth for ten years or so , but not on pheasants - I use it on Canada Geese and ducks!
    I kill them cleanly with 4ís and 2ís out of the muzzle loader and mybcartridge gubs with brass cases and black powder .
    If I can flatten Canadaís with it using black, I doubt anyone can fault factory smokeless ammo on pheasants!
    I love the stuff , I have been able to get my BP guns used once again n waterfowl because of it .
    The day may come in Canada where we need to use it for upland as well , but for now we donít.

11 dollar a box 1 1/4 oz. Loads , lead will out perform any of that expensive stuff.Remington steel loads, sportsman, in bb, or 2, 3 inch. That's what I use, and I slay all those dudes shooting bismuth, and that other spendy stuff, that's junk.

That is neat to hear that your shooting it with a black powder gun, you do not hear that every day. You have a double barrel black powder shotgun?

I have several black powder cartridge guns. My main gun is an 1878 Westley Richards hammer double 12 bore,and four muzzle loading shotguns , one original Chance and Sons (that is actually my son’s) , a Pedersoli 12 bore double, a Pedersoli 20 double , and a Berreta O/U 12 bore muzzle loader.
    The Berreta is a replica of an 1850’s Berreta .
    I have been hunting and competing with BP since 1978 and love shooting the old style guns!
    I use them all but the Westley Richards and the Berretta re my most used . ��
    I am on my phone so don’t know if I can post a pic right away but will when I get home .These birds were shot ussing blaack powder but with nickle plated shoot not Bismuth
    The ones in the next post were shot with BP and Bismuth, however.
    mtI5rHP.jpg
    gZY77GQ.jpg
    Last edited by davidtodd; 10-28-2018 at 12:35 AM.

This is what gets shot when I use Bismuth and black powder!
    DT
    aaajjo6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by davidtodd View Post
    This is what gets shot when I use Bismuth and black powder!
    DT
    DT, that's freaking awesome! I went through a phase about 20 years ago of black powder muzzle loader shooting/hunting. My fowling piece/blunderbuss isn't in the same league as yours (12 bore T/C New Englander). It was really fun, but frustrating at the same time. Just plain had a hard time killing stuff outside 25-30 yards. Try as I may, regardless of what I shoved down the smoke pole or how I crammed it in there, I had an absolute devil of a time getting more than 1,000 fps out of my loads per my chronograph. Ever chrono your loads??
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 10-28-2018 at 07:20 AM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Chronograph??!! Heavens NO!��
    The loads are going fast enough to kill birds cleanly and that is all I need to know!��
    I have been shooting BP rifles and shotguns since 1977 or so and have seen guys danged near throw their guns away in disgust because they could not get the velocity expected .
    The same goes with black powder rifles.
    Yet , traditional rifles and shotguns have been killing critters like big Canada geese and moose since they were invented!��

Black powder can only be pushed so fast , so shorter distances are mandatory .
    I don’t Pass shoot using these guns , I keep my shots closer than with my modern guns
    So have have to pick my shots with a bit more prudence .
    However , over a good pointer or flushing dog that is normally not a big chore .
    I love the guns, and like shooting them , not because I think they are better , they can be a real pain to use for sure!��

I still do the majority of my pheasant hunting with a cartridge gun although it is the Westley Richards , not the muzzle loader .
    I have killed birds at 25 yards or so with it but that is pretty short compared to what I can do with my modern 20 gauge!
    If I had to guesstimate I would say POSSIBLY 1,100FPS , but like I said earlier , I can kill birds consistently with them so i’m Okay with that
    Soory for the long post but I figured I needed to explain the situation a bit better .��
    DT
    Last edited by davidtodd; 10-28-2018 at 11:24 PM.