Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kent Bismuth & Pheasants?

Default Kent Bismuth & Pheasants?

Hello, first post to the forum. I'll be taking my first trip to South Dakota for Pheasants this year. Will probably take some #2 or #3 steel along as cheaper backup, but want to try some of the "Like Lead" alternatives too.

I like the price of the Kent Bismuth loads as well as a couple of the loads they load it in. I've read some mixed reviews of it being great and killing like lead, and a few that weren't so excited about it. Also read that by itself, Bismuth is brittle but Kent has improved it (guessing by adding something to it?).

Long story, has anybody hunted with the new Kent Bismuth? How well did it kill birds? Thinking I'd go with one of the #5 loads somewhere around 1350 fps.

Thank you,

Tucker

I've never used the Kent stuff but I have had good experience with Rio Bismuth. I think the shot is alloyed with tin to help the shattering problems of straight bismuth. I'm sure the Kent stuff is as good as the Rio and if so it'll kill them dead.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm working on some patterning with the 2 3/4" Kent bismuth 1 3/8 #5's, our first tournament this year is nontoxic only, I should have a good idea how it flattens bird by the next week or two and I'll report back.
    I'm guessing it's going to be a great nontoxic alternative to their 1.5oz #6 lead that I'm using when nontoxic isn't required.

Thanks for the replies so far. One thing I forgot to ask: Do I need to upsize one shot size compared to lead, or can I use #5 bismuth where #5 lead would be used?

We'll be in SD the week of Thanksgiving, so I'm wondering if I need to go with 4's or if 5's will be plenty for pheasants out to 40 yards (hopefully 40 at the max).

Dewey, I'll look forward to hearing your results with the Kent bismuth.
    Thanks much,

Tucker

Imo opinion 5s will be fine but I think generally one size up from lead is recomended. I killed plenty in SD a few decembers ago with 3/4oz of 5s.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I made it out to start testing the Kent Bismuth, the gun I was using is a Benelli Ultra Light 26" barrel, Brileys Spectrum ported Skeet choke. We also took a few shots with the 828U 28" barrels with a non ported Brileys Skeet in the bottom with almost identical results.

I had many other chokes with but most of my tournament shots are 20-25 yards over a pointing lab, so I was testing with that in mind.

I was rather surprised at the tightness of these patterns with such an open choke, when I have more time I might even try a cylinder.

We tested all 2 3/4" (tourney rules) #5's and 6's tungsten matrix and bismuth in 1 3/8 oz #5's and 1 1/16 oz #6's
    Bismuth @ 1350 and tungsten @ 1375 fps

All shots taken from 25 yards....I would think based on what I seen I would think with a light mod or mod you'd smoke late season bird at 40+ but destroy or miss cleanly a tight holding bird.

Obviously I can't judge how hard it hits but back when I believe Active had the original bismuth/tin I know my dad and uncle we folding geese at 50-60 yards, I can't remember if it was 3" or what shot but I do remember them being impressed as they were hunting ducks when lead was legal, then couldn't kill anything with the early steel.
    Last edited by Deweybagger; 08-06-2016 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Messed up the pictures

Apparently really messed up the pictures, I'll try again....its been awhile

I agree, those patterns are surprisingly tight at 25 yds through a skeet choke. Looks great to me.
    I used the Rio bismuth last year, and was happy with them. I ordered several boxes of the Kent bismuth when they first appeared on the Cabela's website a couple of months ago. A mixture of 12, 16, and 20 gauge. Both the Kent and Cabela's websites show the 16 gauge loads to be 1200 fps, but the boxes definitely say 1300. (20's are 1200)
    Looking forward to finding out how these perform in SD in Nov.

Thanks for the feedback and pattern pics! Surprised those are shooting tight but that's probably not all bad for when we're going. Hunting with our Springer Spaniel that isn't exactly a field trial winner, and being later in the season I'm anticipating a few birds getting up a ways out there.

Let me know if you knock some birds down with them. I'm anticipating they've taken care of the shattering issue by adding the tin alloy, but that's about my only concern.

I may also pick up some Kent Tungsten Matrix too. Sounds like that also pattered pretty tight for you?

Thanks!

Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by peashooter View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and pattern pics! Surprised those are shooting tight but that's probably not all bad for when we're going. Hunting with our Springer Spaniel that isn't exactly a field trial winner, and being later in the season I'm anticipating a few birds getting up a ways out there.

Let me know if you knock some birds down with them. I'm anticipating they've taken care of the shattering issue by adding the tin alloy, but that's about my only concern.

I may also pick up some Kent Tungsten Matrix too. Sounds like that also pattered pretty tight for you?

Thanks!

Tucker
    I forgot to mention how the tungsten matrix was....
    That also was 2 3/4" 1 3/8 oz of #5's, this load and choke combination was not good at all, it might be worth trying different chokes but the bismuth looks so much better I just put the tungsten away. I'll get a picture of that pattern