Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring rains

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanCA View Post
    Hi Enzinn, you should have come up to my place to shoot doves, lol. It has been a two weeks of almost nonstop shooting during the evenings. The majority of birds are Euro this year though at my place. About 50 to 60 euros have been hanging out in the walnut orchard bordering my property. They shot the hell out of them last Sunday.

I drove to China Island Wednesday but vehicle access is limited to the upper parking lot during dove season. Looks like good cover as always. They haven't started flooding for ducks yet. I am buying a mountain bike hopefully tonight and then I am going to scout it during duck season. There is more water available this year compared to last so I expect they will be opening up the west section for ducks this season. I've been having good luck finding pheasants in the grain fields below the past couple of years. Yes, PM me when you come back.
    I kind of went dove hunting on a whim anyway. The dog needed to just get out and roam and it was cool (80 degrees) with a wind, so I just jumped in the Jeep and drove to Salt Slough.

I have never shot a Euro. Are they just as tasty as Mourning Dove?

A fellow pheasant hunting friend of mine hunted China Island for doves and said he heard some crowing there. Of course, we will never know what the situation is until we hunt it. Although California pheasant hunting will be anticlimactic after Montana and North Dakota, I still look forward to it. There is certain familiar comfort to the masochism of California pheasant hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by enzinn View Post
    I kind of went dove hunting on a whim anyway. The dog needed to just get out and roam and it was cool (80 degrees) with a wind, so I just jumped in the Jeep and drove to Salt Slough.

I have never shot a Euro. Are they just as tasty as Mourning Dove?

A fellow pheasant hunting friend of mine hunted China Island for doves and said he heard some crowing there. Of course, we will never know what the situation is until we hunt it. Although California pheasant hunting will be anticlimactic after Montana and North Dakota, I still look forward to it. There is certain familiar comfort to the masochism of California pheasant hunting.
    We don't shoot the Euros. We shot one last year. My father said it tasted more like pigeon. Observing them, they seem much more domesticated than mournings. Mourning Doves after a couple of days of shooting are flying high and fast. These guys around my property have been banging the Euros up good. Even after all the shooting the'll fly low and slow and land in a tree not too from from where people are shooting. On our Patterson property, they come real close to us like you would observe with city pigeons.

I have a feeling the pheasants will be better this year. What we have been missing the past few years is good early season rains and some wetness to slow them down a bit. It has been so dry down there for the opener the past few seasons.