Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 112

Thread: Pointer vrs Flusher Article in Shooting Sportsman

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    basehor, ks
    Posts
    2,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    It's killing me to.
    Was it "Shadow"???
    That's it. I think his last name was Gump

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,975

    Default Shadow

    I kind of liked Shadow! Good pictures, of course I took the jabber with a grain of salt, ( like this particular forum). Also his counter part from Colorado with the shorthairs, used a muzzle loader, hunted with a preacher? Boy they would have livened this up good! Sometimes we take this way too seriously. I would have left them on better to have some crusty so and so besides me!

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    basehor, ks
    Posts
    2,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldandnew View Post
    I kind of liked Shadow! Good pictures, of course I took the jabber with a grain of salt, ( like this particular forum). Also his counter part from Colorado with the shorthairs, used a muzzle loader, hunted with a preacher? Boy they would have livened this up good! Sometimes we take this way too seriously. I would have left them on better to have some crusty so and so besides me!
    That was Mustistuff or something like that. I agree everything needs a little color life gets boring without it. I don't take any of it too seriously

  4. #84

    Default

    Huh feel foolish not thinking about what the gunners are doing with running around with a loaded gun, but you guys are right...not safe.
    Not surprised those dogs are high strung...sure would not enjoy getting a pup out of one of those burners.
    Back in roughly 1983, Richard Wolters discussed a new type of dog trial that was being proposed. It recieved alot of negative feedback from the experts in the field of trialing back then. As I recall he (Wolters) was one of those that helped design the new event...it was what NAVHDA uses now i.e. the concept of pitting a dog against a standard vrs each other. Guess the experts back then saying it would not work were wrong.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlf3882 View Post
    Huh feel foolish not thinking about what the gunners are doing with running around with a loaded gun, but you guys are right...not safe.
    Not surprised those dogs are high strung...sure would not enjoy getting a pup out of one of those burners.
    Back in roughly 1983, Richard Wolters discussed a new type of dog trial that was being proposed. It recieved alot of negative feedback from the experts in the field of trialing back then. As I recall he (Wolters) was one of those that helped design the new event...it was what NAVHDA uses now i.e. the concept of pitting a dog against a standard vrs each other. Guess the experts back then saying it would not work were wrong.
    I may be wrong but I believe Wolters proposed and started NAHRA. NAHRA has a small but almost fanatic following in our area. I have run NAHRA events with success but there arent to many oppurtunitys with out driving long distances.
    AKC hunt tests, HRC hunt tests, and NAHRA judge the dog against a standard and award pass/fail scores. They all have similarities, and differences.
    I personally like AKC the best as they have the most tests, greater title recognition, and are generally the most challanging. HRC is fun but they tend to get a little hung up on theatrics. IE the clothes you wear, how you blow a duck call etc. I get what they are trying to do but the clothes you wear dont make it real hunting! NAHRA is probably the closest to real hunting, unfortunaly the setups are long to run and make for a loooong day.
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

  6. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    I may be wrong but I believe Wolters proposed and started NAHRA. NAHRA has a small but almost fanatic following in our area. I have run NAHRA events with success but there arent to many oppurtunitys with out driving long distances.
    AKC hunt tests, HRC hunt tests, and NAHRA judge the dog against a standard and award pass/fail scores. They all have similarities, and differences.
    I personally like AKC the best as they have the most tests, greater title recognition, and are generally the most challanging. HRC is fun but they tend to get a little hung up on theatrics. IE the clothes you wear, how you blow a duck call etc. I get what they are trying to do but the clothes you wear dont make it real hunting! NAHRA is probably the closest to real hunting, unfortunaly the setups are long to run and make for a loooong day.
    My bad and you are correct about the NAHRA and Wolters...I miss the old Gun Dog when it was more articles vrs commercials, even the stories seemed longer. Plus the writers like Waterman, Wolters, Duffy, Proper...kind of took them for granted

  7. #87

    Default

    I thought AKC pitted dog against dog vrs a standard i.e. There could only be one winner? Did they change how they run their trials? Or am I out in left field again? Have never trialed a dog before.

  8. #88

    Default

    AKC trials (dog vs. dog). Pointing dog trials can be walking or with horses.

    AKC Hunt Tests (dog vs. standard)

  9. #89

    Default

    Ah... Thanks for the clarification

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlf3882 View Post
    I thought AKC pitted dog against dog vrs a standard i.e. There could only be one winner? Did they change how they run their trials? Or am I out in left field again? Have never trialed a dog before.
    AKC Field Trials pit dog against dog with points and ribbons awarded for first through fourth, a reserved JAM, and JAMS for dogs completeing the test but not doing work good enough to win. JAM = Judges Award of Merit.
    Hunt Tests are judged against a standard and were intended for amatures. Since the growth in popularity of the Master National pros have become the norm at the Master level. I am trying to qualify one of my dogs for the Master National this year. It is being held near St Louis and they are expecting 1200-1600 dogs to compete! The Master National requires 6 master passes in a calander year to qualify, takes 14 days to complete, and has a pass rate of 25%. Three Master National Passes earns a dog a spot in the Retreiver Hall Of Fame.
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •