Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Road hunting etiquette. Land owner and Hunter

Talking

Still not hard to get a 12 pack and cruise

Quote Originally Posted by Crestwoodbuck View Post
    If you spend any time talking to locals who have lived in and around the small towns of SD most of their lives they grew up road hunting. Many a guy has told me in conversation that they used to get a 12 pack, a buddy, and go cruising for birds. It is a lot harder to do that now with the bird populations down.
    Wow--loaded shotguns and booze--road hunting----HUM
    Pheasants Forever Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SDJIM View Post
    Wow--loaded shotguns and booze--road hunting----HUM
    I believe you can have a loaded gun in the car! in S.D. The fact that teenagers road hunted does not surprise me in the least....I probably would have too! Which makes me dubious about the legality, and the adults who do the same thing now. Some do that here, illegal, but they do anyway. Please I am note saying that about participants here, walking the ditches is a different subject in my opinion.

Default It only takes a few bad guys to spoil things

I have gone on a corporate hunt in SD on a preserve the past few years and I can tell you what I have seen. The preserve owner is very friendly and has no issue with people hunting the ditches as long as they obey the laws in regard to distance from livestock and dwellings. He did say (and I witnessed this twice last year) that he does get upset when people cross fence lines when they see birds across them and think that they can get away with it. This preserve is as such that it is pretty easy to get your limit early if you are much of any kind of shot. That being said we rarely hunt past noon and have the afternoon open to do other things. This year we went up in some buttes on the property to see if we could help rid a few coyotes for the owner. I bought a new good set of binoculars this year knowing we would do this. Sitting up in the buttes I could see road hunters and ditch hunters on the roads below. I saw two instances where parties trespassded across fencelines in pursuit of birds they could see. I also saw one road hunter shoot across the fenceline and then come back in about 20 minutes to pick up the bird he had shot. Although not everyone does this the temptation is always there and it only takes a few to do this to make the property owner to be suspicious of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Still not hard to get a 12 pack and cruise
    Until ya see those cherries flashing in the rear view, funs over.
    There's lots of things along the road, I'd surely like to see
    I'd like to lean into the wind and tell myself I'm free......Townes Van Zant

Proper etiquette is to get permission since the landowner owns to the center of the road. It is common sense elsewhere.

How about someone from the Game Fish and Parks Department address the following:

1. Game Fish and Parks Department does not allow retrieval of big game without landowner permission. Why do they allow retrieval of a pheasant?

2. Game Fish and Parks Department protects their land by not allowing toxic shot. The landowner does not have the right to protect their own?

3. If the landowners grass in the ditch is so important then how about the Game Fish and Parks Department reimburse the landowner at the going rate for walk on areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Catch'N View Post
    Proper etiquette is to get permission since the landowner owns to the center of the road. It is common sense elsewhere.

How about someone from the Game Fish and Parks Department address the following:

1. Game Fish and Parks Department does not allow retrieval of big game without landowner permission. Why do they allow retrieval of a pheasant?

2. Game Fish and Parks Department protects their land by not allowing toxic shot. The landowner does not have the right to protect their own?

3. If the landowners grass in the ditch is so important then how about the Game Fish and Parks Department reimburse the landowner at the going rate for walk on areas.
    Well, if you are going to hunt public rights-of-way only with the permission of landowners, you may as well stay home. I do ask if I size up a spot that is legal, but in close proximity to a house, livestock, etc, They usually say "I would rather you didn't, but thanks for asking". That's good enough for me.

In response to your three points:

1. Hunting of big game from a public right-of-way is illegal, even if you are the one paying taxes to the centerline. Therefore, by design, retrieval of a big game animal from private land is illegal as you broke the law simply by shooting. I don't think I need to address the ballistic differences of a shotgun versus a high-powered rifle. Remember, if flight originates from the private side of the fence, you are breaking the law by shooting, unless the bird's flight path takes it over the right-of-way.

2. We all know that the days of lead shot are numbered, however, I have never heard of it causing any poisoning of livestock, etc, simply from road hunters shooting over private land. If this were a major concern, don't you think landowners would dictate non-toxic shot for their paid clients? ( I am sure some do, but far and away, most don't.)

3. The landowner's grass is his/her decision to manage,most of it is cut for hay, therefore they are being paid for it. If they have the smarts to leave some for wildlife habitat, it only benefits them, overall by reducing erosion, etc. Also, landowners are allowed to hay their walk in land. It does not become off-limits to the owner simply because they sign a contract with GFP. Many walk ins are hayed or grazed long before hunting season. This reduces the value to sportsmen, but on balance, the walk in program kicks butt.

I do not see a response for the common sense in the issue. Thanks for address the rest in a round about way.

if ditch hunting is legal and it is........why would i try to find who owns the field behind it? i can legally hunt it (the ditch) w/o permission.......applying common sense of course helps. maybe the landowners should take this up with their reps....this is a senseless argument, covered by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Catch'N View Post
    I do not see a response for the common sense in the issue. Thanks for address the rest in a round about way.
    Perhaps it would be best if you applied your brand of common sense in another State? Everybodies happy.