Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 12 versus 20

Default 12 or 20

I'm thinking that a new Browning Sweet 16 at 5.75 lbs might be the answer to our prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by mgorvi View Post
    I'm thinking that a new Browning Sweet 16 at 5.75 lbs might be the answer to our prayers.
    I like that! But would have to get used to sighting over the "hump".

Quote Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
    No matter how much it is discussed a 12 bore is always gonna be bigger than a 20 and can be made to do more, however, the point is how much gun do you need for your desired application.
    I think you will find that a 1oz load in a properly choked 20 will be quite sufficient on most pheasant hunting. I have used a 2 3\4" 1oz load of either 5s or 6s with good success on several pheasant and a lot of crows. And in a proper gun they are a joy to carry!
    Bob
    Agreed. Im a high school teacher and any load that moves over 1300 fps is considered a handicap load. The kids on the trap team here at school were making fun of me for using the remington nitro's. At 1330 fps they said yeah you can hit em but you're cheating using handicaps! They finally wore on me and I downsized. I still have plenty of pop for pheasants and quail

Quote Originally Posted by oldandnew View Post
    I like that! But would have to get used to sighting over the "hump".
    No problem. I was amazed when I got my first A5 several years ago, a '60 Sweet Sixteen, that I never even notice the "hump" when I pulled it up. It just came up a created a natural sighting plane.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

I am with Zeb on this. I used a Remington 1100 all through my teenage years and early adulthood for doves and quail. I gave my dad an A5 for Christmas when I was about 25 and he never really shot it so I took it out for doves. I was amazed at how much better I shot with the hump and my percentage of kills per shell went way down. I actually find the sighting plane to be perfect - it's just right there in front of your face. I have been using an A5 ever since I embraced the Hump!

I am thinking a Light Twenty A5 might be right up my alley, but man, those suckers are expensive. I also want to see that new Sweet Sixteen. That is truly going to be a perfect upland gun. I really like the new A5, except for the high gloss finish and I hate the Dura Touch they put on their camo guns as it tends to peel off - so Browning really does not make a finish that I like. If Browning offered a satin finished Sweet Sixteen it would be a beautiful upland gun.

Default Hump back

My old A5 that I foolishly sold promoted a more heads up gun mount, and it seemed like a more natural sighting plane, for me anyway. It seemed like I had a better view of the bird, too. I was a lot less likely to peek because of the way it fit me. I have a Fabarm L4S on order, but I'm gonna not take it and order the new Sweet 16. I'm pretty sure the 1970 Sweet that I sold weighed 7.25 lbs. The literature says the new one will be 5.75 lbs. You gotta think with the Fiocchi 1 1/8 oz load that new gun would make you feel like Quick Draw McGraw right now. I hunt a lot of WPAs late in the season. I hope they make a steel load in 16, and I also hope you can get a DS choke in light modified. I'm kinda hung up on that choke for some reason. Anyway, I figure if I go with a 16, I don't need a 12 or a 20. It kinda covers it all for me. Hope they aren't too hard to get.

Mgorvi,

I agree with you. I think the reason I shoot an A5 so much better than a normal receiver is because I keep my head up. I probably missed some birds with a normal receiver because of this.

If you really want a new sweet sixteen, I would call and place an order if they will let you, otherwise, you may not have it for bird season if they are scarce to find.

Default Hump back

My old A5 that I foolishly sold promoted a more heads up gun mount, and it seemed like a more natural sighting plane, for me anyway. It seemed like I had a better view of the bird, too. I was a lot less likely to peek because of the way it fit me. I have a Fabarm L4S on order, but I'm gonna not take it and order the new Sweet 16. I'm pretty sure the 1970 Sweet that I sold weighed 7.25 lbs. The literature says the new one will be 5.75 lbs. You gotta think with the Fiocchi 1 1/8 oz load that new gun would make you feel like Quick Draw McGraw right now. I hunt a lot of WPAs late in the season. I hope they make a steel load in 16, and I also hope you can get a DS choke in light modified. I'm kinda hung up on that choke for some reason. Anyway, I figure if I go with a 16, I don't need a 12 or a 20. It kinda covers it all for me. Hope they aren't too hard to get.

Default A5

Sorry for the double post. Anybody know where I would order that gun from right now? I'd like to do that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgorvi View Post
    Sorry for the double post. Anybody know where I would order that gun from right now? I'd like to do that. Thanks
    From what I've been able to determine the new A5 Sweet Sixteens won't be available until some time this summer. I think all you can do is contact your local gun shop and see if they are getting any in and then get on a list. That's what I've done.

Sorry, I think we kind of hijacked this 12 vs 20 thread. We should take the discussion on the new 16 ga. A5 back to that thread.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016