Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've got a serious problem here. .....

Default I've got a serious problem here. .....

I have a wirehair female, 7 months old. During the Pheasant hunt she performed very well. Since the hunt has been over I've been working with her trying to keep her on birds but on now 4 occasions when it comes time to leave, she won't come to me. She will stay back about 30' and eventually just runs off. I was able to catch her twice but the last two times someone else had to call her and catch her. I guess it's time to use the check cord or maybe even use my e-collar.
    I just don't get it. This dog gets treated better than any dog I have ever had.
    Anyone out there have similar experiences? Any help is appreciated.

I have a Brittany that I have spoiled by letting her ride in cab of my truck . When come time to kennel all other dogs come to tailgate she . She will move off if she thinks she is going in the dog box . Open the door to the truck she is in immediately .

Most dogs will come right to you if you kneel down and call them . Have you tried this ?

Ya I've tried that, I even opened the back door of my crew cab. She did try to get in but the second she saw me walk around from the back of the truck she bolted. She doesn't like riding in a dog box and I practically have to force her in it. Maybe that's the issue. I'm confused here. I've had over a dozen different dogs and have never had this issue before.

Yer gonna have to change it up. She's figured out what time to go looks like and would rather stay. You need to decide to go when you already have hold of her for awhile and not use the same format you've been using. My first setter would see the truck and hook to the side and start pointing and moving away. There was never a bird, he was just manipulating me to stay away from the truck. Gotta show who's smarter here and become unpredictable.
    Trust the dog!

Troy Smith

Maybe act like you are going to leave her behind

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Bound View Post
    Maybe act like you are going to leave her behind
    I've tried this as well. Today I drove off for about a mile. Same results. Luckily an older feller I know pulled up, opened his door and called her and she went strait to him. I don't get it.

I had the same problem with my lab, when she was about the same age. She still wont ride in the box in the back of my truck without a wrestling match. She gets to ride in the back seat which has worked out. I ended up using my e-collar to correct the issue. I also started feeding her a little after the hunt and that seemed to help.

Quote Originally Posted by KSBrittman View Post
    I have a Brittany that I have spoiled by letting her ride in cab of my truck . When come time to kennel all other dogs come to tailgate she . She will move off if she thinks she is going in the dog box . Open the door to the truck she is in immediately .

Most dogs will come right to you if you kneel down and call them . Have you tried this ?
    Funny thing is, at home if I call her and she won't obey, all I have to do is drop the tailgate and tap my fingers on it and she comes running full speed.

It means your obedience needs work. You're right to think about using the check cord. Use it to reinforce "here" (or whatever you say) until she knows there is other option but obedience. Also, you only say it once.

Before using the e-collar be sure she understands how eliminate pressure (through obedience) on the check cord... Then thoroughly collar condition her.

My dogs sometimes don't like the command given (for example, when I say "kennel" before leaving for work) but they obey because I won't give a command unless I know I will enforce it even if it means I have to walk in socks through the yard in the dead of winter.

Good luck and be patient. She's still a baby... or as one of my training partners would say, "she's still sh@&$ing yellow."

Yes I realize she is still young, I'm not giving up on her. I did give her a spanking second to last time she did this and I thought it cured her. These last two times however I have not done much other than scold her and a small spat on the rump. I had a guy tell me to thrash the hell out of her when she does this sort of thing but I can't see the positive side of doing this.
    Like I said, last night I worked her in heavy cover for about 2 hours and had no issues what so ever. Tonight I ran her for about an hour or so and she went right back to square one.
    Last edited by COWAN; 01-17-2016 at 09:57 PM.