Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015-2016 Season thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by AtTheMurph View Post
    I'm surprised by Rock and Hudg's comments. I hunt Iroquois and have for close to 20 years and this year was one of the best seasons I've seen in the past dozen or so.

Not only did I see more birds this year than in years but the cocks held for my dog more than in the past. It has gotten so bad that every good point I used to see meant a hen, but not this season. Most were cocks.

I saw more multiple flushes than I have in a long time, maybe ever. I saw 12 bird flushes, 7 bird flushes and one 20+ bird flush along with multiple other 3s 4s and 5s. Used to see one half dozen a year and feel grateful.

Last day out I watched the edge of the field we were going to hunt as a Marsh hawk hovered up ahead about 200yds. I could see literally 40-50 birds on the edge of the field.

Had spots produce 25-40 birds that have in the past 10 years produce maybe 10 and the majority were cocks. Seemed like the birds were very segregated this year by sex, more so than in the past. Early in the season and later in the season didn't seem to matter. It was cocks or hens.
    Murph, this is great news. I'm glad to hear that you saw so many roosters this past fall Did you happen to keep track of the young birds vs. older birds? If so, what percentage would you say were first year birds?
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1pheas4 View Post
    Murph, this is great news. I'm glad to hear that you saw so many roosters this past fall Did you happen to keep track of the young birds vs. older birds? If so, what percentage would you say were first year birds?
    Most were first year birds. Probably 75/25 or there about. We did kill several older/bigger birds.

Was weird this year. When we saw cocks - WE SAW COCKS! When we saw hens we saw almost all hens. My biddy who lives in Iroquois Co said the same thing when he went out without me. He had cocks busting all over when they got into them.

I think the weather in the late spring was so spotty that small changes in geography had big affects on bird nesting. The farmers all mentioned that just a little this way or that way made huge differences in their yields. One guy had fields yield 50 bushel corn and 1/2 mile a way had fields yield 250. The rains were that erratic.

That's strange for early season Murph. Your young vs old ratio was an obvious sign of a good hatch! If you can, this coming fall keep those photos coming

On another note; So far so good for wild Illinois pheasants this winter. January was tough on the birds in the northern part of the state, but they seem to be fairing okay. This warm up has exposed more open ground too.

Nick
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Default Sorry for not staying on topic

Dose any one on here know any one that is breeding pups for this year? I'm looking for an English setter.

Cody,

I sent you a pm.