Thread: Lineage Crosses

Default Lineage Crosses

Looking at a litter where the lineage crosses. The puppies have the same great grand father on the maternal side for both parents. Does this raise any red flags or is there a standard on how far removed the lineage should be?

Default lineage cross

If the parents and grandparents on both sides did not have any noticeable problems or known genetic defects I would consider a pup if they offered what I wanted in a gun dog.

It's not a problem unless there is a problem with the dog that shows up more than once. Linebreeding can be a very useful tool to increase consistency in a litter. I have a pup that is from a half brother/sister breeding and another that has Hillhavens Hustler show up 7 times in 5 generations. It doesn't mean you will have 2 headed puppies born, but it does increase the chance of both good and bad traits showing up. That is one reason health testing is important. If it's a lab pup, I would make sure both parents have had all the tests done. That would include hips, eyes, cnm, pra and eic.
    Last edited by JeremyS; 01-15-2016 at 04:52 AM.

Thanks JeremyS...The hips are good and excellent, clear on all the test for both sire and dame. I'll most likely move forward with this pairing.

No problem. Good luck with your new pup! Sounds like you will be getting a good one.