Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spooky Covey

I heard that. Had a group that I had pinned at the back of a cover. I'm convinced they were pinned because the rest of the cover was so thin it was ridiculous. Sure enough they didn't flush again. Dogs started bothering with a brush pile and my first thought was: "yeah I would hide under there too and just not bother with being too scared to come out."

YES....the last couple years I've seen quail run more than ever before...I too have a couple coveys that are near impossible to kill. Doesn't matter how far off my dog points them...they still run....flush in timber or out of range and the singles just completely vanish. I have a covey in Kansas that my dog has pointed no less than 10 times of the last few years.....I have never killed a bird out of it....no matter how I try to set it up to succeed...they always beat me...lol. those are the quail you will always remember

Sorry, Guys, but this thread had me, not only reading with respect, but also with laughter as I too am invariably flummoxed by those little birds ... my old Epagneul Breton bitch, RIP girl, who condescended to hunt pheasants only out of self dignity, would turn into a hunting monster for the Callies ... a grave lesson was learnt one day ... always, and always do a recce on what is behind the bird ... suffice to say, the bird fell down the centre of a blackberry bush the size of a well appointed home ... the foto below shows my bitch embarking on going underneath it to retrieve the bird ... she backed out (with me turning my back on her in the fear of her blinding herself with all the thorns) only for me to turn back to witness her climb up the side of the blackberry, drop down into the centre of the bush and climb back out with the bird ... I was so staggered by her endeavours I was slow in dropping on one knee to take the bird from her, she sat and patiently waited for me to gather my wits of what I had just witnessed ...

dioneequail.jpg

I hunt mostly private property that has alot of critters like bobcats and coyotes. These birds will run like heck everytime. It takes a special kind of dog with alot of exposure to this kind of bird to know how fast and far they can push a covey to"sit them down" and hold but yet not pressure them too much to make them break and rise. I had an English pointer bitch years ago that had this mastered like no other. I have a public lands place that I love to hunt that has quite a few birds- these birds run like crazy usually to a hill top or drop off. I've seen alot of these covies run straight up the nearest hill or straight down to a drop-off and then take flight to the next hill top or drop down into the creek bottom and run. If you don't physically see the birds take flight up ahead of you and watch where they land on the next hilltop the game is over when the dogs get there.These birds hear the dog and they will proceed with the escape route. Once we move with the dog to thier escape destination , they hold about as tight as any text book covey does. The " cat and mousse" chase is my favorite part of hunting quail with a dog. As for scenting singles, I've had experienced baiches that did this best. I've always had English pointers but have crossed over to a gsp 2 yrs ago. My young female gsp is amazing on singles, I'm not sure if it's just because gsp's tend to ground trail more than English which work off of the wind. She loves to slow down and ground scent when we are working singles and she is death to those birds.