Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to get pheasant chicks that may survive wild?

Default Best place to get pheasant chicks that may survive wild?

I live in western Colorado and we have a 62 acre farm with 15 or 20 acres set aside in habitat. We used to have a fair amount of birds but to say the least they are disappearing! Like anyone on this forum I hate to see this. So I am going to make a effort to raise and release some QUALITY birds! We kill a lot of predators there and I think that helps but I want to replant some of the habitat as the salt grass has taken over... But my question is what is a good source for good birds??

anywhere you can get chicks. you need to set up a place that the birds never see you or any one else. you will have a big time lose of birds on release. it can be done but you need to release lots of birds. You dont really have much land at 62 so good luck.

I know, I probably am wasting my time. Maybe I should just say they are gone and not fight it! But I guess that's not me! I want to try and was thinking someone might have some good advice on where to get good birds?

Good for you and it can be done. My in-laws have some ground in SE Kansas where there's no pheasant for miles around. About 5 years ago we bought some roosters and hens and released them. We've been seeing a few here and there for the past 5 years. Saturday my father in-law, my two little kids and I were sitting in a deer blind overlooking a cut bean field. We watched 12 roosters and 2 hens messing around in the bean field for over an hour. It was a awesome sight to see! They were big, good looking healthy birds. Not sure if these are some of the ones we originally released or if they've bred??? We didn't get a deer, but it made the trip worth it getting to watch the pheasants.

That's awesome! I figure if there is nothing to eat 'em they'll have a better chance, on that note we cought a fox this morning!! It's no longer with us!! The one thing I know for sure is if I don't try with the pheasants they damn sure won't do any better!

Does the Hunting Preserve over there have any for sale or can they point you in the right direction? Not sure if it is in Delta, Montrose.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" YOGI

Do you have a local PF chapter you can work with?
    Mike

Give these guy's a call. They may have the resource local for you!

Black Canyon Wing & Clay
    2566 Last Chance Rd., Delta, Colorado 81416
    Phone: (970) 874-7195

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" YOGI

Sorry I didn't get back sooner been busy! Thanks for the interest in my project. I do not think there is a PF chapter close by? I have asked black canyon wing and clay and they didn't seem to really want to sell the birds outright?? I think I will have to order chicks. I have a friend in SD that gets birds from "GC" also in SD and is very happy with those birds? Might give them a try?

https://www.pheasant.com/birds/manch...spheasant.aspx

I don't know from personal experience. Just heard about them.