Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Is anyone getting late season hunting in?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    144

    Default

    My setter pup pointed 2 hens and 3 covies of quail in Fayette County last week.

    I saw two roosters at .270 range.

    The dog work was great.

    Ohio bird hunting is really poor

    Reilly, sounds like a good hunt. 3 covey of quail is a bunch. About how many do you think was in each covey?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    144

    Default


  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewellin01 View Post
    Spent a week in South Dakota for Thanksgiving, then hunted our farm last Sunday and harvest 3 birds and then yesterday I manage one more on a Farm in Medina County..hitting public land Wednesday morning Good Luck everyone!

    Last Sundays Hunt


    Yesterdays Hunt
    where abouts in medina county? I've hunted all over out there, and have never ran into a wild bird.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewellin01 View Post
    Spent a week in South Dakota for Thanksgiving, then hunted our farm last Sunday and harvest 3 birds and then yesterday I manage one more on a Farm in Medina County..hitting public land Wednesday morning Good Luck everyone!

    Last Sundays Hunt


    Yesterdays Hunt
    Nice photos, thanks for sharing!

  5. #15

    Default

    Too my knowledge all these birds came from a pen. We release hens and roosters on our farm mainly for training in the off season then we may hunt some off the left over roosters throughout hunting season. The farm in Medina County is somewhat close to a hunt club. These birds seem to always find their way to this particular farm which had a pond excellent cover and crop fields. With that said this farmee does see roosters and hens well into late summer on this property , so I guess there is a very very small chance luck may have allowed a wild hatch but a safe bet would be released birds

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewellin01 View Post
    Too my knowledge all these birds came from a pen. We release hens and roosters on our farm mainly for training in the off season then we may hunt some off the left over roosters throughout hunting season. The farm in Medina County is somewhat close to a hunt club. These birds seem to always find their way to this particular farm which had a pond excellent cover and crop fields. With that said this farmee does see roosters and hens well into late summer on this property , so I guess there is a very very small chance luck may have allowed a wild hatch but a safe bet would be released birds
    Well if ya ever have room for another dog and gun, let me know! I'll be more than willing to throw in for some pen birds if it saves me an hour drive!

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poyntem View Post
    [INDENT]
    Reilly, sounds like a good hunt. 3 covey of quail is a bunch. About how many do you think was in each covey?
    Two covies had 12+ birds. The third was actually in Ross County and had 6-7.

    I was thrilled.

    I hadn't seen that many quail in Ohio since the late 80's.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly Auld View Post
    Two covies had 12+ birds. The third was actually in Ross County and had 6-7.

    I was thrilled.

    I hadn't seen that many quail in Ohio since the late 80's.
    Wow that's encouraging. Thanks for the report

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    144

    Default South Dakota trip

    Originally Posted by Llewellin01 View Post
    Spent a week in South Dakota for Thanksgiving, then hunted our farm last Sunday and harvest 3 birds and then yesterday I manage one more on a Farm in Medina County..hitting public land Wednesday morning Good Luck everyone!

    Lkewellin01
    Where did you hunt in SD. Was it a guided hunt? We talked it over during Christmas, and my brother in law and I decided to start looking for a trip. I was looking for a first hand recommendation, since digging through the sea of advertisements on the internet is overwhelming.

    thanks
    Last edited by Poyntem; 12-29-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: misspelling

  10. #20

    Default

    PM sent!

    Here's the link to out trip summary in the South Dakota forum!

    http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.c...ad.php?t=19998

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •