Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone getting late season hunting in?

My setter pup pointed 2 hens and 3 covies of quail in Fayette County last week.

I saw two roosters at .270 range.

The dog work was great.

Ohio bird hunting is really poor

Reilly, sounds like a good hunt. 3 covey of quail is a bunch. About how many do you think was in each covey?

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellin01 View Post
    Spent a week in South Dakota for Thanksgiving, then hunted our farm last Sunday and harvest 3 birds and then yesterday I manage one more on a Farm in Medina County..hitting public land Wednesday morning Good Luck everyone!

Last Sundays Hunt

Yesterdays Hunt
    where abouts in medina county? I've hunted all over out there, and have never ran into a wild bird.

Spent a week in South Dakota for Thanksgiving, then hunted our farm last Sunday and harvest 3 birds and then yesterday I manage one more on a Farm in Medina County..hitting public land Wednesday morning Good Luck everyone!

Last Sundays Hunt

Yesterdays Hunt
    Nice photos, thanks for sharing!

Too my knowledge all these birds came from a pen. We release hens and roosters on our farm mainly for training in the off season then we may hunt some off the left over roosters throughout hunting season. The farm in Medina County is somewhat close to a hunt club. These birds seem to always find their way to this particular farm which had a pond excellent cover and crop fields. With that said this farmee does see roosters and hens well into late summer on this property , so I guess there is a very very small chance luck may have allowed a wild hatch but a safe bet would be released birds

Too my knowledge all these birds came from a pen. We release hens and roosters on our farm mainly for training in the off season then we may hunt some off the left over roosters throughout hunting season. The farm in Medina County is somewhat close to a hunt club. These birds seem to always find their way to this particular farm which had a pond excellent cover and crop fields. With that said this farmee does see roosters and hens well into late summer on this property , so I guess there is a very very small chance luck may have allowed a wild hatch but a safe bet would be released birds
    Well if ya ever have room for another dog and gun, let me know! I'll be more than willing to throw in for some pen birds if it saves me an hour drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Poyntem View Post
    [INDENT]
    Reilly, sounds like a good hunt. 3 covey of quail is a bunch. About how many do you think was in each covey?
    Two covies had 12+ birds. The third was actually in Ross County and had 6-7.

I was thrilled.

I hadn't seen that many quail in Ohio since the late 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly Auld View Post
    Two covies had 12+ birds. The third was actually in Ross County and had 6-7.

I was thrilled.

I hadn't seen that many quail in Ohio since the late 80's.
    Wow that's encouraging. Thanks for the report

Default South Dakota trip

Originally Posted by Llewellin01 View Post

Lkewellin01
    Where did you hunt in SD. Was it a guided hunt? We talked it over during Christmas, and my brother in law and I decided to start looking for a trip. I was looking for a first hand recommendation, since digging through the sea of advertisements on the internet is overwhelming.

thanks
    Last edited by Poyntem; 12-29-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: misspelling

PM sent!

Here's the link to out trip summary in the South Dakota forum!

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.c...ad.php?t=19998