Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Exited for opening day 2015

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    101

    Default

    be sure to let us know how it goes! I might try and slide out for a hunt on Tuesday: the itch is definitely back.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Hello all. lets just say i have nothing to report. My son and I got to the field around 1:00 this afternoon. On the way in we passed a truck with a dog and two guys. Not a good sign. We hunted every field we could find. Cookie gave us a so-so point after about an hour of hunting, when i walked up to she turned her head and broke point, but stayed there, so i walked up dismayed, but still somewhat on alert. What i found was the remains of either a hawk or coyote's meal. The good news is my 10 year old stuck with through a couple of light showers and continually thanked me for taking him with me. He didn't know it, but it was him making my day not me making his. I am going to have to camp out one night and see where on the property they actually turn out the pheasants. All in all still better than a day at the office.....

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poyntem View Post
    Hello all. lets just say i have nothing to report. My son and I got to the field around 1:00 this afternoon. On the way in we passed a truck with a dog and two guys. Not a good sign. We hunted every field we could find. Cookie gave us a so-so point after about an hour of hunting, when i walked up to she turned her head and broke point, but stayed there, so i walked up dismayed, but still somewhat on alert. What i found was the remains of either a hawk or coyote's meal. The good news is my 10 year old stuck with through a couple of light showers and continually thanked me for taking him with me. He didn't know it, but it was him making my day not me making his. I am going to have to camp out one night and see where on the property they actually turn out the pheasants. All in all still better than a day at the office.....
    The time with your son and his enjoyment and excitement for it are better then a dozen limits! Glad you got him out and he had such a good time. Know I love having my daughter along in the field and while I don't want her to grow up any quicker than she is I can't wait until the day she can join me as a shooter in the field!

    Wish I knew anything about Caesar that would help you but I don't. One thing I would say is to hunt the edges. My experience has been these released birds like to get in the woods right on the edge of more traditional pheasant habitat.

    Keep after it. You will get some birds.

  4. #24

    Default

    We hunted Charlemont Friday morning and Saturday afternoon. I as well thought that the hunter numbers were down. Had a little issue with guys trying to follow us first thing Friday after they seen we had dogs, but other than that it was pretty enjoyable for a release date. We harvested 8 out of 9 birds on Friday and 3 out of 4 on Saturday.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    The time with your son and his enjoyment and excitement for it are better then a dozen limits! Glad you got him out and he had such a good time. Know I love having my daughter along in the field and while I don't want her to grow up any quicker than she is I can't wait until the day she can join me as a shooter in the field!

    Wish I knew anything about Caesar that would help you but I don't. One thing I would say is to hunt the edges. My experience has been these released birds like to get in the woods right on the edge of more traditional pheasant habitat.

    Keep after it. You will get some birds.
    Thanks for the tip MattD. I was getting pretty nervous when Cookie went up into the woods. towards the end of the day she pointed a tree full of tweety birds. talk about desperate for a bird

    Your thoughts about your daughter are dead on! As a father little girls are not suppose to grow up

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    144

    Thumbs up

    Thanks for the report Llewellin01, Glad to see you had success Keep us up to date with any other outings.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewellin01 View Post
    We hunted Charlemont Friday morning and Saturday afternoon. I as well thought that the hunter numbers were down. Had a little issue with guys trying to follow us first thing Friday after they seen we had dogs, but other than that it was pretty enjoyable for a release date. We harvested 8 out of 9 birds on Friday and 3 out of 4 on Saturday.
    Will you be making it out for the release this weekend? Glad to hear someone else did well on Friday and Saturday as well

  8. #28

    Default

    We plan on heading out Saturday, might wait til mid morning tho instead of first light. If the crowds show up I get really stressed out about my dogs safety. We had a group walk right up to us and stand 5 yards to our left as we waited for Sunrise last Friday. They walked a mowed path while we hunted the cover with our dogs, we watched them raise up to potentially shoot several birds that were running, its just a recipe for disaster IMO

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Made it out today after the rain with one of my buddies. Was able to grab three more well earned birds. Mandy is finally coming along with solid flushes on all three, and two great retrieves, and one that needed a little coaxing. After the rain, it seemed like they went straight to the thin spots in the cover to feed. Made for a great day for us!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewellin01 View Post
    We plan on heading out Saturday, might wait til mid morning tho instead of first light. If the crowds show up I get really stressed out about my dogs safety. We had a group walk right up to us and stand 5 yards to our left as we waited for Sunrise last Friday. They walked a mowed path while we hunted the cover with our dogs, we watched them raise up to potentially shoot several birds that were running, its just a recipe for disaster IMO
    If you are going to charlemonte, we will need it meet up (at least between pushes). Always nice to meet new people!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •