Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exited for opening day 2015

This will probably go down as the best opener I'll have in my life. Matt D has met my dog Mandy, now 2 years old, and until the opener, she just couldn't seem to string I all together -the flush, shot, and retrieve that is- retrieving was almost at the point of chalking it up as a lost hope. She made me eat my words on the opener, with four flushes, and 3 EXCELLENT retrieves for me and my brother. She did tire out faster than expected, but the endurance will extend as the season draws on. I will be taking her out tomorrow morning, and the real work will begin. Matt, I'm glad to hear Copper is doing well. We are overdue for a hunt, as it has been far too long. Maybe I'll make the trip down for the next release!

Quote Originally Posted by Poyntem View Post
    That's Great Matt D,I'm glad you had a good opener.

When are you getting Fin? Is he being trained somewhere, or he too young to take off his Mamma?

I know from my coondog, as well as my cattle penning days, dogs and horses, are very much like people. Everyone of em has their very own personalities, strengths and weaknesses. you compare them to one another all the time. For the short period of time, I have been around the bird dog world. there are going to be a ton of people that disagree with my next statement. But here goes, God hasn't made a perfect dog, just like there hasn't been a perfect handler made. However, I will say there has been perfect matches made between dog and handler. Cookie isn't a perfect dog, but she is perfect for me. She needs work on consistently honoring other other dogs points like she should and doesn't retrieve pheasants that well at all, quail yes pheasants no. Those are the ones I know, I am sure there are more, But I wouldn't trade her for another!!!
    Your last paragraph couldn't be more true. Mandy was the same way last year. She would retrieve doves and likesize birds easily, but when it came to the size of a pheasant, was very hesitant.

Another side note, did anyone else experience diminished numbers of hunters this year? We hunt charlemonte (which usually had more hunters present than birds) but only saw about 40 hunters in the time we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by tript2009 View Post
    This will probably go down as the best opener I'll have in my life. Matt D has met my dog Mandy, now 2 years old, and until the opener, she just couldn't seem to string I all together -the flush, shot, and retrieve that is- retrieving was almost at the point of chalking it up as a lost hope. She made me eat my words on the opener, with four flushes, and 3 EXCELLENT retrieves for me and my brother. She did tire out faster than expected, but the endurance will extend as the season draws on. I will be taking her out tomorrow morning, and the real work will begin. Matt, I'm glad to hear Copper is doing well. We are overdue for a hunt, as it has been far too long. Maybe I'll make the trip down for the next release!
    Glad to hear Mandy had a great day! Should all start to click for her now. We will get out for sure going forward. I probably won't hunt the next release but that could change.

Where is charlemonte at? Where we hunt it is tough to gauge hunter numbers but would say similiar. Know when I drove through after we were done the number of trucks looked about normal. I thought the rain might keep some away and it probably did to a degree.

Surely there are more than 3 of us from OH on here that went hunting the last 2 days. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    Glad to hear Mandy had a great day! Should all start to click for her now. We will get out for sure going forward. I probably won't hunt the next release but that could change.

Where is charlemonte at? Where we hunt it is tough to gauge hunter numbers but would say similiar. Know when I drove through after we were done the number of trucks looked about normal. I thought the rain might keep some away and it probably did to a degree.

Surely there are more than 3 of us from OH on here that went hunting the last 2 days. Lol
    Charlemonte is up in Lorain county about 15 minutes from Spencer. Last year there were cars parking twenty yards into the field by 730, this year they barely covered the parking areas.

Well I don't know if there will be many left, but I'm going to try and get find the left overs in the morning. This will be the first time on public land for Cookie I hope to put her on some birds !!!!!!

Well I don't know if there will be many left, but I'm going to try and get find the left overs in the morning. This will be the first time on public land for Cookie I hope to put her on some birds !!!!!!
    Made it back out today for three hours this morning. Flushed two, and jumped a rabbit. However, it was my first time on the property (Berlin lake wildlofe area) and the birds flushed right towards the houses about 125 yards or so away. Poyntem, where in the state are you located?

There are still some out there, guaranteed. Also you will likely have the place to yourself. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I know the grouse have fallen on hard times in Ohio, but how about woodcock?

Good luck tomorrow Poyntem!

So, I have been reading through the Ohio rules and regulations. From what I can see anyone under the age of 17 need to purchase a youth permit. I was thinking about taking my 10 year old son with me in the morning, but I wasn't sure if he needed a permit if he isn't carrying a shotgun?? When we lived in SC you weren't required to have a permit if you were under 18 years old. Ohio likes revenue

Sorry Tripp I am in SW OH , near Dayton. I plan on going to Caesar Creek WMA.