Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's going out this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by ilphezhunter View Post
    Wasn't able to get out over the weekend but got out for the first time today. My Dad and I were able to get three. We walked three separate ditches. First we saw 3 roosters, 2 hens, and 1 coyote. My dad got one rooster on his way to block for me and I got the coyote. Second ditch we saw 5 hens and 1 rooster that flushed wild. Last ditch we got two roosters off solid points from the dog in the pic. Overall I was pleasantly surprised considering how warm it was. Thought the birds would be out feeding today.
    Nice job. I'd say all three of those roosters are not from this years hatch. Possibly the one on the left side of the photo being this years hatch though he looks older too. Did you happen to look at their spurs?

Nick
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Hope you do well when you go out. I'm just above the stateline, up in Wisconsin, and we had 30-40mph sustained winds today, with slightly lower winds forecast for tomorrow.

Hang on to your hats and be safe.
    Kis
    For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1pheas4 View Post
    Nice job. I'd say all three of those roosters are not from this years hatch. Possibly the one on the left side of the photo being this years hatch though he looks older too. Did you happen to look at their spurs?

Nick
    Yes the spurs on two of them were longer and could be second year birds. The one on the left just had a nub for a spur.

So got a report from a buddy who hunts with us every now and again in East Central IL. He usually goes to the Nekoma area.

He hunted with us on the opener then took off early Sunday, hit a few spots around Nekoma and they bagged 6 cocks. He went out middle of the week and they bagged 7.

Didn't believe him but he sent pictures..... I guess there are birds over there.

Just for the fun of it; Here's a collection/video of Randy Wakeman hunting wild Illinois pheasants.

https://youtu.be/dr7Tvjf2db4

Nick
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

Nov 14, 2015 Illinois cocks.

3 hunters, three limits.

2 dogs. 1 GSP, 1 Braque Francais.

The Braque retrieved each of the 6 birds

You uploaded photos!! Lol. Nice job murph.

Man, Most of the birds seem to be older birds thus far. Anyone keeping track of older vs this years hatch?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by 1pheas4 View Post
    You uploaded photos!! Lol. Nice job murph.

Man, Most of the birds seem to be older birds thus far. Anyone keeping track of older vs this years hatch?

Nick
    I might have had help..... Didn't know I had to post them on the web somewhere then link to them.

One of the birds we bagged had 22 inch tail and long, super sharp spurs. Drew blood on one of the guys.

This snow storm coming in tonight should make for some interesting hunting this weekend. We'll see what this does for the shotgun deer season #'s too.

I would like to try to get out on pheasants tomorrow. We'll see. So far my boss says I have to stay home with one of my daughters. lol

Nick

I'll be out tomorrow for my first pheasant hunt of the year. Should be a good one with the snow if we do get any here in central Il. Very excited I'll try to post pictures if it's a good day.