Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Optimistic or Pessimistic?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Waukesha, Wi
    Posts
    510

    Default Optimistic or Pessimistic?

    So I went to buy shells for the upcoming season. I come home with 3 boxes of lead and 1 box of steel. Man, I either plan on seeing a whole lot of birds or I sure do plan on missing a lot.

    Maybe I'm hoping I don't have to bum shells at the end of the season, like the last 2 seasons.

    Either way I'm excited about the weather for the opening weekend.

    Good luck!

  2. #2

    Default

    Liking the forecast myself. I'll be hunting private land Sunday (work Saturday) and then hit some public land close to home Monday after the warzone dies down out there. Should be plenty of birds left for an inexperienced dog and equally inexperienced hunter.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Janesville Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    You'll probably see a lot and miss a lot if I was a betting man.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    rural Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,349

    Default

    I plan on waiting until Monday before going out, but I'm awful anxious to get Tinker out for real field work and experience.

    Every time I've gone out on opening day, I've come back quickly, and often, having been scared by the thoughtless or reckless behaviors that those guys with shotguns demonstrate.

    I wish safe outings and successful hunts...however you define "success"...to everyone.
    Kis
    For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Waukesha, Wi
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter View Post
    You'll probably see a lot and miss a lot if I was a betting man.
    I'd be happy with this.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Waukesha, Wi
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    I plan on waiting until Monday before going out, but I'm awful anxious to get Tinker out for real field work and experience.

    Every time I've gone out on opening day, I've come back quickly, and often, having been scared by the thoughtless or reckless behaviors that those guys with shotguns demonstrate.

    I wish safe outings and successful hunts...however you define "success"...to everyone.
    I'm just as excited about starting this season. This year I get to keep for the season my Dad's 9 year old English Pointer. She's a retired field champion and has never hunted pheasant. I've run her out at Vernon for exercise and she will hit the heaviest cover hard. She definitely lost a step or two but she's about right for foot hunting now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West allis,WI
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Go big or go home lol be safe all.

    Remtech

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    St. Croix County, WI
    Posts
    80

    Default

    I don't have a shotgun or a dog, but I'm still itching to get out and walk the fields! I went pheasant hunting for the first time with my father in-law and brother in-law out in SD. Even though I only shot half-a-box of shells last year, I still feel the itch to go pick up another box.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Waukesha, Wi
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Well I hit a rough patch in my shooting. In the last 4 birds my dog pointed, I only bagged 1. Apparently I'll go through those shells just fine at this rate. Hope everyone else is doing well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    3,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shorthairs4life View Post
    Well I hit a rough patch in my shooting. In the last 4 birds my dog pointed, I only bagged 1. Apparently I'll go through those shells just fine at this rate. Hope everyone else is doing well.
    Ill make you feel better. I finally got out for the first time last weekend. Got skunked. I was telling Upland (Mike) I can't believe my dog didn't get sprayed. I'm thinking (possibly) the skunk wasn't healthy.

    Between being a taxidermist and family life I think my hunting days are be behind me for a while.

    I'm thankful for the up-tick in members posting about their hunting experiences and photos. That helps numb the pain. Thanks guys

    Nick
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

    http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •